Ruins

The thing is that the cover save for ruins is defined as 4+ which overrides the generic 5+ so any cover granted by ribs via their special rules or the standard 25% obscurement is a 4+.

Those craters would give grot vs grot shooting a 6+ if neither of them were in it, assuming each were 25% obscured. The reference to otherwise specified is the save generated.

The thing is that the cover save for ruins is defined as 4+ which overrides the generic 5+ so any cover granted by ribs via their special rules or the standard 25% obscurement is a 4+.

Those craters would give grot vs grot shooting a 6+ if neither of them were in it, assuming each were 25% obscured. The reference to otherwise specified is the save generated.

I've got this covered several times. Your welcome to read them again. The above quote is rules for 6th edition.

Without a FAQ regarding this topic or additional rules source, I think we've exhausted all the material. It really doesn't matter too much as most events use homebrewed rules for terrain or allow players to agree what is what before hand, making the BRB's ruling have little value.

In general, I think the answer is to not tell your opponent it's in the BRB, decide rules of terrain before each game and just firmly stick with what you agreed.

Hmmm...alternate take:

One could argue that the ruin is the rubbled footprint and the broken building actually qualifies as the "barricades and walls" battlefield debris. In this case, its a 4+ cover for being in the ruin, or a 4+ cover for being behind the walls (and 2+ cover if going to ground behind said walls). This reflects the examples better, though isn't directly described in the rules. On an interesting side note, the rules for the rubble battlefield terrain are the same for ruins (4+ for being in, doesn't need 25% concealment). These are page 109.

Yeah, might start just doing it this way. No longer say "ruins," say "rubble with barracades and walls." Then the BRB rules line up with how most players have been playing ruins. I very much like playing by the BRB, if I can.