tournament ork list for review

imperialjawa

Ok one of the larger tournaments here in Ireland is at the end of January and I wanted to throw out a list for review and get some feedback from the more experienced Warbosses on this forum.

OK so the tourny rules so far as i know them are

1650 points

Battle forged armies only
If your army consists of only a single Detachment its Warlord, even if it is a special Character, May make an additional roll on the Warlord Trait table from the rulebook.
If your Army Consists of Three or more Detachments or Formations Then only the Primary Detachment gains the bonuses from “Command Benefits”.

No escalation, no superheavies (Imperial Knights excepted), fortress of redemption or aquila strongpoints 

Mission are usually ETC style but they haven't specified any missions yet so they COULD do anything.

Ok so here's my Ork list

Warboss: mega armor, boss pole, lucky stick                   130

Big Mek: mega armor, boss pole, finkin kap                      90

Mek: rocket luncher                                                            20

19 boyz: 2 rocket launcher, Nob: power klaw, boss pole  170

Truck: rocket launcher            30

19 boyz: 2 rocket launcher, Nob: power klaw, boss pole  170

Truck: rocket launcher            30

5 Mega Nobs                                                                       200

Truck: rocket launcher, boarding plank      45

10 Tankbustaz: 3 bomb squig                                            145

10 Tankbustaz: 3 bomb squig                                            145

4 Warbuggies:  TL rocket launchers                                   100

5 Lobbas:                                                                             90

5 smasha guns: 5 ammo runt                                              165

Battlewagon: kannon                                                           120

with 3 rolls on the strategic chart and a reroll: the plan is to get the "master of ambush" and "night attacker" warlord traits to straight but stealth orks in peoples faces. 

Big Mek joins smashas and infiltrates

both boyz squad infiltrates 

one tankbusta squad infiltrates 

other tankbusta squad gets in the battlewagon 

warboss and mega nobs use truck to get where they need to be

boyz trucks used as line of sight/movement blockers and fast obsec units

warbuggies add more rockets and outflank potential

mek joins Lobbas and then do work with a slightly higher leadership ;)

33 str8 ap3 shots pre turn plus 6 str8 ap4 2+ hitting shots(once/game)

5 mobile arty with ap1 shots and some rerolls for when you get str10 plus one extra str8 ap2 shot for funzes

seems ok to me its shooty and punchy

I would love to have more warbuggies but finding german orky ones is problematic/expensive 

any suggestion? is my plan doomed? is it unorky?  are my points wrong? 

• Like 1

The list is, what, 1750 from a quick glance? And you've got three Trukks and one Battlewagon? Yeah, that's a problem- those Trukks are gonna evaporate instantly and the 'Wagon pretty soon after. Your list seems like it's an odd mix of foot and mechanized stuff, like it can't decide which it wants to do; there's plenty of good units in there, but I feel like they're working at cross purposes in a lot of cases.

Take the Tankbustas, for example. Good unit, surprisingly effective at killing lots of things (tanks included). But they're 24" range and you have them trying to walk towards the enemy with no protection but a 6+ armor save, not a plan I expect to work out very well.

There's definitely a glimmer of hope in there for the army, but I think you'd need to do some serious revamping to make it what I would think of as a tournament-quality list. Also, as cute as the tourney's special unique snowflake house rules are,  you're probably better off using one of the formations in the list (either the Meganobz or Battlewagons one), as you still have two rolls with rerolls on both on the Strategic table.

So anybody else wants to give some advice?

I am going to get a practice game in this weekend to see how the above list works :)

@AbusePuppy 

Thanks for you comments here is what I'm working with 

I only have the meganobs you see in the above list so I cant go that direction

I have played a few games with the 5 Battlewagon formation...and its rough to make a list that has enough bodies to go in the battlewagons that make it an effective force and that was at 1850 let alone 1650.

Assume I have 5 battlewagons with guns on them(none removable) what list do I make with them?

With all that infiltrating, I wouldn't invest in transports.  I get you aren't using them as transports per se, but the points used there could net you something more useful IMO.

I don't think the secondary Mek is really that helpful, I'd drop him and the three trukks.  That's 110 pts (I'd put the boarding planks on the battlewagon which is now transporting all the mega armored dudes.)  Get a KFF for the Big Mek to help the battlewagon survive and have some invuls for shooting once you get out.  Put remaining points into getting more boyz.    

At OFCC I found that the Boarding Planks weren't worth it.  The re-roll from 'Ere We Go on charge range basically does the same thing for free.

Since you're really leveraging the Finkin' Kap, go for broke on infiltrating.

Plus remember that if your Big Mek is your Warlord, you won't be calling a Waaagh with the Warboss, so plan accordingly

@AbusePuppy Thanks for you comments here is what I'm working with 

I only have the meganobs you see in the above list so I cant go that direction

I have played a few games with the 5 Battlewagon formation...and its rough to make a list that has enough bodies to go in the battlewagons that make it an effective force and that was at 1850 let alone 1650.

Assume I have 5 battlewagons with guns on them(none removable) what list do I make with them?

Well, not knowing what the actual guns are that's hard to say exactly; this is what I'd aim for as an "ideal" under that assumption, though:

ORKS COMBINED ARMS DETACHMENT

1 Big Mek (Mega-Armor, Da Finkin' Kap, Warlord)

1 Warboss (Mega-Armor, Da Lukky Stixx)

3 Meganobz (Trukk w/Rokkit, Reinforced Ram)

10 Tankbustaz

10 Tankbustaz

18 Boyz (1 Rokkit, Nob w/Klaw, Bosspole)

18 Boyz (1 Rokkit, Nob w/Klaw, Bosspole)

20 Boyz (2 Rokkits, Nob w/Klaw, Bosspole)

3 Lobba

2 Lobba

1 Trakta Gun

BLITZ BRIGADE FORMATION

1 Battlewagon (4 Rokkits, Deffrolla)

1 Battlewagon (4 Rokkits, Deffrolla)

1 Battlewagon (1 Big Shoota, Deffrolla)

Sadly it doesn't have a Waaaaagh! (due to not having a Warboss as Warlord), but it's not as focused on charging as some Ork lists are. Large numbers of Rokkits coming off your vehicles as you advance gives you some fairly decent shooting and sheer number of AV14 hulls will make it troublesome for a lot of opponents. It's still not something I expect will do well against, say, Wave Serpents, but if they roll poorly on penetration turn 2 you could easily put them in a bad place. The Meganobz in a Trukk are a bit of a sore thumb, but I don't see a great way around that- you could also potentially swap them out for more shooting support via Mek Gunz, some Buggies, or other elements.