Tau Remora Drone Bases

Kaoshin

So it looks like Team Diversity is planning on making a return to OFCC this year!  With that in mind I'm throwing together a new Tau list and am going to give the Remora Stealth Drones from forgeworld ( http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-BATTLESUITS-AND-DRONES/TAU-REMORA-DRONE-STEALTH-FIGHTERS.html ) a good run.  I have run into a bit of a quandry however and have not been able to find a solid answer.  By all appearances on FW's website the drones come with skimmer bases, which makes sense given when they were first made and published they were skimmers.  They are, however, now flyers.  So are they now one of the only "planes" to use a skimmer base or should I be acquiring flyer bases for them?

• Like 1

I'll have to check, but I think (my memory is spotty at best) that if a unit is a flying vehicle, it has to use the flier base and stand. either way you could CHOOSE to use the flier base/stand, if you want to benefit from the increased LoS (but suffer from increased exposure). Though they may come with skimmer bases, using a flier, with shrouding no less, on a skimmer base would lead to all kinds of weird LOS and cover situations.

So it looks like Team Diversity is planning on making a return to OFCC this year!  With that in mind I'm throwing together a new Tau list and am going to give the Remora Stealth Drones from forgeworld ( http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-BATTLESUITS-AND-DRONES/TAU-REMORA-DRONE-STEALTH-FIGHTERS.html ) a good run.  I have run into a bit of a quandry however and have not been able to find a solid answer.  By all appearances on FW's website the drones come with skimmer bases, which makes sense given when they were first made and published they were skimmers.  They are, however, now flyers.  So are they now one of the only "planes" to use a skimmer base or should I be acquiring flyer bases for them?

One of those things that comes of FW models. Thunderhawk Gunship still doesn't include a base, despite GW adopting the rules in the escalation book.

As far as I understand, so long as the model isn't counts as/proxy, you use the base it came with. No reason to use another. If no base included, then it doesn't use a base.

I will note that local events may have addressed the FW lack of base consistency with the GW game.

@xaiver: I'll note that a number of FW skimmers have abilities where they can forgo shooting to move as a flyer. This does not affect the base. Land Speeder Tempest is one such skimmer. Not sure, but I don't think flyers being on taller or shorter bases will cause any rules interaction issues. If terrain isn't adequate for short flyers, that is an issue with the terrain selection and not actually a rules issue.

Pax: True, but their BASE type is skimmer. I view that like a flying monstrous creature, it's base type is MC, not flier. These little guys are fliers, and all fliers use flier bases. The skimmers that CAN be fliers are skimmers. The fliers that can be skimmers, that have hover, are still fliers and on flier bases.

Pax: True, but their BASE type is skimmer. I view that like a flying monstrous creature, it's base type is MC, not flier. These little guys are fliers, and all fliers use flier bases. The skimmers that CAN be fliers are skimmers. The fliers that can be skimmers, that have hover, are still fliers and on flier bases.

I think you are confusing GW with a more organized company. GW doesn't have bases specfic to a unit type. The skimmer base is the skimmer's base.... The flyer base is the flyer's base. There is not a consistent base type for all of a certain type of unit.

GW does not have any such rule that requires flyers to be on a base more specific than the base they came with...