Sentinels of Terra - All Scout Army?

Swan-of-War

Saw an article on Frontline Gaming that piqued my interest - an all scout army using the Sentinels of Terra chapter tactics.

Pretty much Infiltrate and redeploy the bulk of your troops up close and personal, move to within rapid fire range and give them hell with Bolter Drill (reroll misses).  What are your thoughts on an army like this?

Librarian (?) on bike

10 x Scouts, Sgt w/Melta Bombs, Heavy Bolter

5 x Scouts w/Sniper, Missile Launcher

Landspeeder Storm, Heavy Flamer (?)

Stalker

Thunderfire Cannon

• Like 1

As stated, it's a great way to use scouts, but you need some heavy hitters to go with it.  Take a gander at the list that Nick Rose used at LVO.  It's a combo of Sentinels of Terra and Blood Angels.  He uses the FA slot drop pod to get a unit of centurions drop podding in to back up his swarms of scouts.  

Saw an article on Frontline Gaming that piqued my interest - an all scout army using the Sentinels of Terra chapter tactics.

Pretty much Infiltrate and redeploy the bulk of your troops up close and personal, move to within rapid fire range and give them hell with Bolter Drill (reroll misses).  What are your thoughts on an army like this?

Librarian (?) on bike

Stalker

Thunderfire Cannon

The Ironclad Dreadnought works very well with footslogging scouts, as it keeps pace (walker with move through cover) and fills the scout weaknesses pretty well.

Army does need more than one option for AA, as any adept Air army will destroy the lone stalker before the aircraft arrive on turn 2+.

To Drop Pod you would need either Space Wolves or Blood Angels Allied in. This is because both of those chapters have un-dedicated Pods as Fast Attack, otherwise Centurions have no access to them from the SM codex. That said, I think a Pod is a better mode of precision application of Centurions w/ Grav than a raven.

• Like 3

Are Centurions w/Grav Cannons in a Storm Raven a good idea?  Or is it better to Drop Pod?  I'm a 40K newb at this point so thanks for being patient

Normal SR starts in reserve, turn 2+ it arrives and triggers interceptor weapons (if centurions disembark on the turn it arrives, they too, are valid targets for interceptor weapons). They can disembark on later turns and not trigger interceptors, but that means turn 3+.

So the question becomes: Will not having those centurions until turn 2 (or later) be justified by what they do in later turns?

It depends on your army.

If you foot slog them, you could get them in range turn 1 without a transport, but it does leave them vulnerable to much shooting (which is an issue only if the weapons deny your armor save). It also leaves them vulnerable to assault (especially because slow and purposeful prevents them from being able to overwatch). 

The Land Raider (and variants) could allow your centurions to begin on the table, but not expose them to fire until after you get a chance to shoot.

In alternative, you could field a fortification, like the bastion, for the centurions to hide inside of during deployment/turn 1. This is a very cheap route, but has the downside of being an immobile transport.

In general, the biggest factor is that your unit will cost roughly the same as a storm raven or land raider at the 3-4 man level. This means you could instead field two duplicate units instead of one in a transport. You could combine them as a single large unit, too.

I know, not really suggestions, just more options, but I find knowing all my options to be helpful.

And yet another option would be to ditch the grav in favor of the longer range lascannons. By staying at long range, it is much easier to protect your centurions without a transport.

As of recently my main army has been single cad imperial fists (sentinels)

Centurions are routinely the all star of most games i play. Delivery is key with them. I've played with the idea of poddung them ala ba or sw but haven't experimented much.

I usually use them as a castle piece due to their 24" bubble of death that grav will allow. This usually prevents even the heartiest units from deep striking in my back field.

If you plan on running las then those should be left to the dev squads as they are cheaper and are easier to hide and generally less of a perceived threat with 3 grav cannon cents in the backfield add well. Plus they will still benefit from tank hunter.

• Like 1