Paladins in 7th?

I'm running a min squad of three in my current list. Mostly for the fixed hammer hand plus one attack banner and apothecary. The rest of the unit is silly Grey knight masters (4), and a libby.

Unit kicks teeth in but the pally part does little. This is also an unbound list so very questionable to begin with.

Still in love with them from 5th ed. :p

fnp on draigo is nice, and with a little bit of positioning the unit can still absorb significant amounts of fire and remain effective.

Been running a 5 man lately, 2 psy cannons, apoth, couple hammers, with draigo. Then add a ML3 lib (prescience) and 2 ML1 maleus inq's (psychic shriek). It's silly, but fun. :)

I've used them a few times; they're decent, but not amazing. They compare favorably as a shooting platform to GK Terminators, but point-for-point they are usually worse in melee. However, if you're planning on using buffs like Invisibility to keep a squad alive, they can gain some mileage- even just five Paladins is a lot of wounds to chew through by most guns.

Draigo isn't really all that important anymore; he still can soak wounds with a 3++, to be sure, but as he doesn't fill your HQ slot and isn't required to include them, he's mostly just an expense that would be better-put to adding more bodies to the army (which is typically light on them.)

I've been finding that hammer hand and even just halberds get you enough strength to fight past things gives strength seven lets you strike at initiative with more attacks and possibly force. Course like I said my list is a little silly with 4 grand masters, 2 falchions with psycannon, 1 master crafted deamon hammer and a halberd psilencer (surprisingly effective against Wraiths just before a charge as it is more fail your saves and die multi wound bastards!).

The paladins themselves are there mostly for fixed things. Hammer hand Sanctic power, Banner for plus one attack all around, apothecary feel no pain, and a couple of chump wounds for looking out to.

I also think pay off the change in why you don't see them as much is the minimum squad size of three, iirc it was one before and singles all over was interesting...

I've been finding that hammer hand and even just halberds get you enough strength to fight past things gives strength seven lets you strike at initiative with more attacks and possibly force. Course like I said my list is a little silly with 4 grand masters, 2 falchions with psycannon, 1 master crafted deamon hammer and a halberd psilencer (surprisingly effective against Wraiths just before a charge as it is more fail your saves and die multi wound bastards!).

The paladins themselves are there mostly for fixed things. Hammer hand Sanctic power, Banner for plus one attack all around, apothecary feel no pain, and a couple of chump wounds for looking out to.

I also think pay off the change in why you don't see them as much is the minimum squad size of three, iirc it was one before and singles all over was interesting...

I've been looking into the psilencers too. If only to further encourage me to remember to cast the force power BEFORE the model rolls to wound in assault....

As for why paladins aren't as common, they used to become troops via draigo. They also had the mentioned small squad size, the holocaust psychic power, and the GK halberds used to add +2 initiative. The current incarnation is very nerfed over the old version. It's a similar reason purifiers are less common now.

I'm also looking into those warding staves. In general, looking into power mauls and force staves. Maybe not a whole unit, but S6 in initiative order before hammerhand is pretty awesome, especially with the concussive rule.