Getting back into 40k with Astra Militarum

Fixxer

Im back into 40k after many many years! I have played Space marines and Chaos Space marines could never really get into them long term.  I know its been like 3 editions since I played and Im sure a lot has changed. WIth that, I want to get into something fresh that Ive always wanted to play.... Imperial Guard... * I mean 'Astra Militarum'.

Lots of dudes and tanks! Sounds like my kinds of army, a defensive maelstrom of lasguns and bombardment. 

I am going to get my first game in tonight with Krieger, 1500pts. 

I have 90+ guardsmen, all kinds of special and heavies. -Could use any as vets!

2 lemun russ, 

1 hellhound

3 armored sentinels

10 rough riders, (I HAVE to take them!)

2 Taruox

1 Baskilisk 

Ive written a few lists, all pretty basic, straight forward but not knowing some of the intricacies of the game I could use a little advice on what to bring my first game.

Just to get a feel.

Thanks for any and all advice.

• Like 2

Welcome dude! I love the Imperial guard, my one giant army.

What are your Lemun russes outfitted with?

Okay here goes.

80- Company command squad with a vox caster and the Laurels of command is a shanazy unit that if you roll doubles for orders then it counts as if you roller double ones (orders go off automatically for everyone and you get +1 order for free)

Fast Attack

125 Hellhound (not amazing but okay at Maelstorm because it's fast)

110- 10 rough riders! Yeahhh

Heavy Support

150 Lemun Russ main battle tank

150 Lemun Russ Main battle tank

125 Basilisk (this isn't actually good for normal play because it has such huge range, it's only good for apocalypse, but fun to play with)

(That's 740 depending on what's your Lemuns have.)

Troops

30-platoon command

105- Heavy weapons with 3 lascannons

75- Heavy Weapons with 3 Autocannons

60- Heavy Weapons with 3 mortars

(Idk what you have so mix of heavy weapons)

425- 5x infantry squad with power weapon, grenade launcher, meltabombs and 1 attatched commissar with Meltabomb and power weapon.

(Make a giant 50 man blob and charge)

70 Veterens-autocannon (these guys sit back and shoot or sit on an objective)

Thats 1500 maybe not a great list but uses everything and gives you a taste of everything.

When I combine the 10 man infantry squads am I allowed to have a special weapon per 10 guys? So 50 guard, is that 5 seargents and 5 w/ special weapons? -you answered this in previous post! cool!

As for heavy weapons I have x3 mortars, x6 lascannons, x6 autocannons. Your list is totally doable, thanks for the advice!

So for what I have found is autocannons are the best heavy weapon teams because they have the most shots and benifit from orders better.

Lascanons are good tho so I normally have a team of them.

Mortars aren't really good anymore fyi because of the new wyvern which for 5 points more is infinitely better.

If you wanted to drop the mortors you could give the blob squad or the vets better special weapons like plasma or meltaguns.

It's also not the best blob because it doenst have apsyker or someone to make it relentless so they can shoot and charge. But the main strategy is move forward and give them the order so they get an extra shot from lasguns. That way they can get from 100 to 150 ish shots.