Thinking about a 3d printer for Christmas

Threejacks

Anyone know anything about this one?

https://printm3d.com/themicro/

Its pretty reasonably priced and seems like it would work well for making gaming aids,bases and accessories.

Ive heared that most printers cant really do full figures very well as they end up very grainy.But for making terrain pieces/sections and such I could see a lot of use.

I also own that printer.

Some stuff to consider:

My workable print bed is smaller than listed, I get shifting if I go too high. I've had to end up designing terrain in pieces to make bigger stuff. It's slow as molasses. You're not going to pump out a tables worth of terrain in under a month or three. The resolution is typical (maybe even good) for extruded printers, but extruded printers are going to have visible layers. It will require significant clean-up.

Most of those downsides are typical of extruded printers though, and for the price it's been a fantastic machine. I use mine to print parts that I then mold and cast in plaster so I can carve them and re-cast them in resin. Examples are here: http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/20065-jims-terrain-project-log/page-6

For my purposes, it's been invaluable, a great machine, and I don't regret the purchase in the slightest.

• Like 1

I also own that printer.

Some stuff to consider:

My workable print bed is smaller than listed, I get shifting if I go too high. I've had to end up designing terrain in pieces to make bigger stuff. It's slow as molasses. You're not going to pump out a tables worth of terrain in under a month or three. The resolution is typical (maybe even good) for extruded printers, but extruded printers are going to have visible layers. It will require significant clean-up.

Most of those downsides are typical of extruded printers though, and for the price it's been a fantastic machine. I use mine to print parts that I then mold and cast in plaster so I can carve them and re-cast them in resin. Examples are here: http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/20065-jims-terrain-project-log/page-6

For my purposes, it's been invaluable, a great machine, and I don't regret the purchase in the slightest.

Thanx for the tips on it!,I think ill pick one up before the years out:)

Looks like you've been getting a lot of use out of it with your terrain projects,awesome stuff!