Is The Calexus Assassin a no Brainer for Imp?

IW Raptors

Pretty much as the tittle says. With the Calexus "new" modal for sale, is taking one in a standard imperial army,  a near auto include if you have the allied slot available? Or do you require a delivery method such as a flying transport or Drop pod(s), and thus more investment? 

Looking at my own Marine army, I know I can fit one in handily enough, but as a non drop pod army he would be coming in 1st turn if I stick him in one pod. Infiltrate is sort of terrain dependent and some units will just move away. 

On the other hand, he does shutdown some shenanigans for a fairly reasonable cost.  

I've been very happy with my Culexus, who is always delivered via Drop Pod or Vendetta. Even if you don't have a Drop Pod army I'd still recommend putting the Culexus in one if it's your only option available. Infiltrate doesn't get you close enough in my opinion.

I wouldn't say the Culexus is a requirement or even a "no-brainer" for competitive play but it does provide a great answer to psychic power-based deathstars and Invisibility shenanigans.

• Like 1

I would say no- the Culexus is a useful ally option if you feel your army is weak to deathstars, but he's not an auto-take. If you don't have a Drop Pod or Rhino for him, he's actually a bit tricky to get into range; with only 4++ and three wounds, he actually dies pretty quickly, even with people hitting him on 6s. Even assuming a delivery method, he often isn't bringing a whole lot to the table, though that's not to say he's useless.

I think he's one of those units that a lot of players will unthinkingly cram into lists, but you actually don't see that often at the top tables.

• Like 2

Pretty much as the tittle says. With the Calexus "new" modal for sale, is taking one in a standard imperial army,  a near auto include if you have the allied slot available? Or do you require a delivery method such as a flying transport or Drop pod(s), and thus more investment? 

Looking at my own Marine army, I know I can fit one in handily enough, but as a non drop pod army he would be coming in 1st turn if I stick him in one pod. Infiltrate is sort of terrain dependent and some units will just move away. 

On the other hand, he does shutdown some shenanigans for a fairly reasonable cost.  

Callidus or Culexus? You've combined two assassins....Pretty sure you mean Culexus (skull head guy).

Anyway, all are useful, but all are contextual. Culexus is probably the most contextual one, as he's rather lacking if the opponent lacks psykers, which are not found in every army.

I think he's one of those units that a lot of players will unthinkingly cram into lists, but you actually don't see that often at the top tables.

Completely agree.

Personally, favorite value of the assassins is how easy they make it to scale down or up an existing list. That Vindicare in particular, is a nice even 150pts, making him a perfect addition to scale up a 1850pt list on the spot to a 2k list. Nothing competitive about it, but good for speed in casual play.

Haha that was a brain fart, meant culexus. I'll have to submit this thread as my resume to work as a GW rules writer! Mind you, they'd never clarify what they meant, so maybe not. Ty for the responses.

Costly $$ wise for the new modal. Considering taking him in a drop pod as I'm not running MSU marines or psykers of my own. Some people seem to swear by it, but I haven't actually played against too many who run one.

• Like 1

Costly $$ wise for the new modal. Considering taking him in a drop pod as I'm not running MSU marines or psykers of my own. Some people seem to swear by it, but I haven't actually played against too many who run one.

Main issue is that he tends to be killed by rather innocuous models. In example, one game I killed my opponent's with a heavy bolter razorback. In general, non-psychic vehicles really give him trouble.

You can mitigate some of the losses relating to non-psychic opponent's if you use your own psykers to power up his shooting. Another option is to get a gun emplacement for him to man with his superior BS.

And beware S8 weapons, as he lacks ID defenses and that 4++ will only go so far. All the assassins tend to die to Krak/Seeker Missiles.

BUT. Against many opponents, he will be very impressive. So I'm not meaning to discredit him, just pointing out the obstacles you'll need to overcome to be successful with him.

As for model cost, there are old metal ones floating around on ebay, plus it's really not a hard model to convert up. Basically a man with an oversized skull head, and one eye replaced with a cannon....