8th vs 9th Age differences

First off, every single rule has been gone over and reworded or clarified to remove all of the vagueness and sticky situations that could come up in 8th (charge rules, I'm looking at you). The magic phase and all of the Lores have been revamped in a way that makes it so that you can't just throw a handful of dice at a big spell every turn and have it swing the game wildly while on the flipside armies with multiple lower level casters are actually viable due to aided casting and dispelling rules. Shooting has been redone to avoid things like character sniping and all of the warmachine mechanics have been reworked or tweaked. In close combat, character walls are a thing of the past as you can now freely target the R&F even if the front rank is full of unkillable characters. Probably the biggest change to close combat is that having a disrupting unit in the flank now negates Steadfast and Steadfast can also be negated adding up the ranks of all of your units in the combat vs your opponent's big uber bus. The combat res bonuses for flanks and rears have also been increased to make positioning more important. There are now combined profiles for all mounted models which work differently based on the type of mount. There have been a ton of changes to the special rules section, so much so that it's worth just reading over rather than me picking things out. Common magic items have also gotten a big balance pass and they are very vigilant about avoiding too powerful of combos.

At this point it would be nearly impossible to post every change as there are so many, but these are my highlights. In addition,  every army book has been completely redone with rebalancing or recosting of almost every unit and several new rules added in and old ones tossed out. If you have any questions about specific stuff, I can go into some more detail but I definitely recommend taking the time to check it all out!

• Like 3