Something to try out

I remember back soon after the game was released,reading a forum post(don't rem were,heh) about a group of players that were using the 40k Tactical objective cards and basically playing AoS like a game of 40k using the 40k maelstrom scenarios.I didn't think much of it at the time but after my recent game with Steel Angel using a scenario with objectives,it got me thinking that this may be a fun thing to try.

I could actually see this system working really well for AoS,though they would need to change some of the card functions just a bit.Take the objective cards for instance,they have 3 different kinds-Capture and Control,Take and Hold and Storm and Defend.I can see these having the same effect but having each type require a warscroll keyword or min model count in order to be scored...example,one type would require a warscroll of 5 or more models to score it,another would require a hero,were another may be something like requiring a warscroll of 10 models or more to score it.Then possibly have a monster requirement to score one.

The other types of cards should work out as well,,those with the kill a unit,would simply be kill a warscroll,though they could always be a bit more specific stating hero or monster along with the extra bonus of vps for killing multiples of the target type.Others would be things like inflicting damage by spell use,summoning or just casing a spell successfully,,or even dispelling.

This of course could lead to faction/army specific cards,with cards that can be played at any time to do things like dispel a cast,half a charge range(caltrops),increase a save for a model...many others im sure:)

I can even see a sort of deck building aspect here with players choosing a deck of say 24-30 cards to play along with their army.

Thoughts on this?

That would be great if think. It would add a small layer of potential strategy.

Look at your cards first then try to see if you can do them for extra points.

Is there a points based system in AoS?

Points for assembling your army would still be the SDK system,,if that's your question.This would just be adding a way to gain in game victory points to determine the outcome:)

I remember back soon after the game was released,reading a forum post(don't rem were,heh) about a group of players that were using the 40k Tactical objective cards and basically playing AoS like a game of 40k using the 40k maelstrom scenarios.I didn't think much of it at the time but after my recent game with Steel Angel using a scenario with objectives,it got me thinking that this may be a fun thing to try.

Thoughts on this?

I honestly thought the maelstrom mission cards were one of the major problems with 7th ed 40k. They are designed to make games seem varied/random, but actually make every game blur with every other game.

I really like the idea of storied missions for AoS. If the GW ones are too problematic, you should try writing up your own.

The issue I keep seeing is that GW games are just not designed with balance in mind. I also don't think that medieval warfare is designed with balance in mind. The more balanced the game becomes, the less fluffy and creative it is. It's a sliding scale between Chess and Rifts.

As for balance, I the main thing is that if people know what the mission is going to be ahead of time, and then tailor their army for the mission, then you could create balance within the mission alone, without any points or other comp systems. Mind you, the missions might get more complicated.

Found these on a facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1059710440719326.1073741832.1057881630902207&type=3

I can see using these in a similar way to the Tactical objective cards of 40k.Perhaps having each player start by drawing one in their first hero phase,then drawing one each turn there after.Scoring of cards would take place at the end of each battle round,1 pt per card.

Some experimentation would be needed of course,but at minimum I can see these being the foundation for an event achievement point system.

• 2 weeks later...