9th Age: Dread Elves

So I'm looking at putting together a Fantasy force that I can use for 8th Ed., 9th Age, Kings of War, and possibly AoS (I have a friend interested, told him I'd try it out with him once the General's Handbook comes out). Since I wanted to play something opposite of the Ogres I've been pushing around for last handful of years, I've decided on elves of the evil variety :cool:

As my brain is still in an 8th ed mindset, I'm curious as to if people have any pointers on good ways to build a list for 9th?

Right now, I'm thinking:

-A few units of "Dark Riders" with X-Bows to fill out core

-Big block of Executioners

-Big-ish block of Dread Knights with general / bsb

-a Hydra and some Reapers. Maybe a chariot if I have the points.

Curious as to what people feel are the biggest winners / losers in the book are? What magic works well with it?

That sounds pretty solid to me. One of the great things about 9th is that they've worked on internal balance a lot so in theory anything you want to play should be a valid choice! The only things that I see as going against that at this point are ridden monsters as they are a lot of points for being fairly easy to take down (though cannons have been nerfed so who knows).

That sounds pretty solid to me. One of the great things about 9th is that they've worked on internal balance a lot so in theory anything you want to play should be a valid choice! The only things that I see as going against that at this point are ridden monsters as they are a lot of points for being fairly easy to take down (though cannons have been nerfed so who knows).

Thanks for the response! Looking over the rules a little more, Palace Guard seems like good choice too... S4 AP1, Stubborn and Immune to Psych... Great anvil, combined with Hydra /Dread Knights to do the hammering.

Keep in mind that, while Ridden Monsters aren't exactly great, Monstrous Beasts are as they use combined profiles.  This is pertinent to DE as the Manticore is a Monstrous Beast and therefore allows for shared profiles.  Also Palace Guard are only Stubborn with a character in them, but they're still pretty rad.  All in all they're a great army.