Generals Handbook

Just thumbing through it and I can see this book is treasure trove of "ways to play".

The multiplayer rules alone add several scenarios that vary alot in how they play.The series of "Triumph and Trechery" scenarios are especially fun looking.Plus they all have a basic guideline on how to assemble armies for it such as only only one model can have a wound characteristic of 10 or more.

Ill be adding more as I make my way though it,,hoping to get my son to do a quick Vanguard game tomorrow to check out matched play.

Please post up here if anyone wants to add anything that looks fun and cool about the book:)

• Like 1

To me the best thing isnt even in the book but the event pack for warhammer world called regiments of reknown that uses the handbook thus creating skirmish rules for 100 point games.

Im curious what other homebrew and supplements could be built on these points as foundation.

• Like 1

We could easily recreate Mordheim with AoS rules :)

Its been done,last fall if I remember correctly.I had the download on it but never gave it a shot.Never played the original version so I wouldnt know if it was a good translation or not,seemed pretty cool reading through it though:)

Heres the link I saved for it https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2wtslxi5wm65li8/AAB6kZliBHc-OiuzxsAyoc3sa?dl=0

One thing I noticed in the Matched play rules that I think should be followed is that in the breakdown chart for game sizes and point totals.They do state in its description that a 1k game should be played on a 4x4 board.I see many forget this rule as even in 40k GW suggested that low point games should be played on a smaller board size but was rarely played that way.Failure to follow this could give fast armies an undue advantage due to the extra maneuver space.

Scaling this rule with point levels between 1k andf 2k may take some experimentation but its probably safe to bump up to the 4x6 board at the 1400-1600 pt level to start with.

So just wrapped up a quick 1k test game with my Son using the "Take and Hold" scenario.

He curb stomped my Death army with his Seraphon list using a CHEESE FKSuar,,or whatever those big lizards are called so I WONT be letting him play in the upcoming league!

j/k,,,should be a good motivator for him to get into it,hehe

Anyhow,,when we were building armies we decided to roll on the traits and atifact tables instead of choosing.Im thinking that this is probably a good idea as in players can either agree to choose or both choose to roll.Or even better the TO decides which path to go on this throughout the series:).In my case it probably would have made a huge difference if I could have chosen as then my army wide ward save would have been a 5+ when using the command ability instead of a 6+ constant from the allegiance ability.

Hey threejacks if youre available next monday or tuesday the 31st or the 1st i have some time to play and id love to get some games in

Next Tuesday is usually game night at WoW,and I think Steel Angel would be interested as well if he gets transportation worked out.Only thing is I dont think we can get in much before 4:00.We could probably hit GG if needed though.

Either way I probably wouldnt be able to make it much before 5:00.

Also a note on army construction for matched play.,.if you have left over points not being used or counted as in the reserve pool,then whoever has more unused points gets to roll on a Triumphs chart that will basically give a chance of once per game reroll of wounds,hits or saves for a unit.Not too bad if you have 20 or 40 points you just cant find a use for.

• Like 1

Played one and watched one 2000 point game with the book last night and it was awesome! It's still a bit early but this has a chance of being my favorite edition of fantasy.

The points and scenarios seem very balanced so far and the rules changes in combination with army restrictions make a HUGE difference.

• Like 2

Played one and watched one 2000 point game with the book last night and it was awesome! It's still a bit early but this has a chance of being my favorite edition of fantasy.

The points and scenarios seem very balanced so far and the rules changes in combination with army restrictions make a HUGE difference.

It's true!  Glad you are liking it.

• Like 1

Rolled last night for command traits for unit champions (no artifacts because no heros) 500ish point quick game, battleline requirement of two includes unit size increases.

10 chaos warriors 180

10 gors 80

5 knights* 200

* Terrifying presence- total: 460

10 Stormvermin* 140

1 rattling guns 80

2 mortars 120

20 clanrats 120

* cunning deceiver- total 460

Seemed to fit better then choosing lol.