If it has been a while since you read the novel, here is part one of some background (para-phrased from the RSR novel) to the Team Yankee mini-campaign we will fight at ENFILADE:
Timeline of strategic events in Central Europe:
• The KGB stages a terrorist bombing attack against the Kremlin, so that it appears a West German terror cell carried out the attack. This sets up a situation whereby Soviet diplomats and press can use the incident as a trigger to call for the actions that would discredit the West German authorities and create a pretext for war. This indirectly is meant to split West Germany from its NATO allies.
Between 6/4/88 and 6/13/88:
• The Soviet Foreign Minister delivers an ultimatum to the West German government demanding a complete stand-down of the Bundeswehr, full reparations to the victims of the Kremlin "attack", and the immediate dissolution of the government and parliament, with a new general election soon afterward.
• The US armed forces are placed at DEFCON 2 in preparation for a likely Soviet attack.
• Exercise Reforger begins
Night 6/14-6/15/88, hostilities commence:
• Spetsnaz units attack NATO installations in Germany: Hamburg and Bremen harbors are put out of action, but all the other Spetsnaz attacks are successfully repelled by NATO forces; 1 Spetsnaz survives, 1 unit is captured without fighting, all the others are eliminated.
• The US Air Force launches Operation Dreamland, a preemptive airstrike against the Warsaw Pact invasion force in Germany. Top-secret F-19 stealth fighters eliminate Soviet radar aircraft. This allows the other non-stealth NATO fighter aircraft to sweep many of the Soviet fighters from the skies, while NATO strike aircraft blast bridges across the Elbe River to slow down and disrupt the Red Army's westward attack.
• Soviet tank forces cross the Inner-German-Border into West Germany.
Summary of Ground battle events in Central Europe, to date:
After a long and extensive massive training Exercise in the GDR (a.k.a. “East Germany”), Soviet and other Warsaw Pact forces invade the FRG (Federal Republic of Germany, a.k.a. “West Germany”). After the initial wave of communist troops clashes with NATO forces, the battle becomes a war of attrition. The Soviet commander expects to win through dogged and determined advances. Although hit hard by NATO air superiority, the Red Army refuses to slow down or seek cover. Instead, they pulverize the NATO defenders in West German towns such that those areas are completely destroyed by artillery fire during the advance. A NATO air attack on the Soviet command and control kills CINC-West (a Moscow favorite); Alekseyev's superior is assigned to replace him. Colonel General Pavel Leonidovich Alekseyev becomes second-in-command of the attacking Soviet army group based in Stendal. Alekseyev is frustrated by the Soviet Army's failure to achieve a rapid victory. This becomes painfully obvious during a failed advance towards the village of Bieben.
NOTE: Bieben (in Hesse) is 195 km South of Alfeld (in Lower Saxony) (not to be confused with Alsfeld, which is in Hesse)
The town of Alfeld (in Lower Saxony) is the focus of our ENFILADE TY battles.
Source: Clancy, Tom (1986) “Red Storm Rising”