What's this teaser video about?

dalmer

I'd have nerd raged at that rescaling. I'm still just a little bitter about the complete rework orks got going to third edition. 

My first army lovingly collected and 3/4 painted went from a full force plus options to half an army and the new line did not look good next to the old. At least with primaris being a different unit type it had a reason and power armor helps in this side by side. I ended up trading away all those lovely 2nd ed Blood Axes made a killing really as trade stock for chaos back then. I still regularly use those marines I got, remembering my orks fondly as I do. I enjoy being able to continue to use them and have others actually recognize what they are, if primaris replaces them all uhg!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

Had they just made Tactical Marines, Devastator Marines, and Assault Marines into the new taller models, but otherwise left the army's organization alone, I think they'd be better liked.

Well put. That is exactly my problem with them. I love the models (Well, the infantry and the Dadnought. Aggressors are eh, Inceptors look like a dude in a baby carrier, and the Repulsor has just as much in common with an Ork Dakkawagon as it does with other Imperial vehicles), but there's no flexibility. Every unit has its assigned role and its one or two wargear options. There's no option to put a Hellblaster in an Intercessor squad. Not without Deathwatch, anyway. There's no lascannons, no heavy bolters, no special weapons, no transports or support vehicles. And no dedicated melee unit. No room to customize your character models, which is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. Until the Primaris line at least supports special weapons like a tactical squad or devestators and has a useful transport, I can't see myself bothering to pick up any Space Marines stuff.

5 hours ago, StygianArcanum said:

Well put. That is exactly my problem with them. I love the models (Well, the infantry and the Dadnought. Aggressors are eh, Inceptors look like a dude in a baby carrier, and the Repulsor has just as much in common with an Ork Dakkawagon as it does with other Imperial vehicles), but there's no flexibility. Every unit has its assigned role and its one or two wargear options. There's no option to put a Hellblaster in an Intercessor squad. Not without Deathwatch, anyway. There's no lascannons, no heavy bolters, no special weapons, no transports or support vehicles. And no dedicated melee unit. No room to customize your character models, which is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. Until the Primaris line at least supports special weapons like a tactical squad or devestators and has a useful transport, I can't see myself bothering to pick up any Space Marines stuff.

But they are more akin to legion than chapter. 

On a more business note how would GW have pulled that off financially? It would have been a huge risk especially after killing fantasy. AOS is just starting to move forward if they had trashed the biggest line one that continues to sell when they launched primaris it would not have been as rosy as it is now. This is one of the points that fed into GW listening they kept the old line and moved forward with a new companion line... instead of the "money grab" making narrative players but new armies would have been. 

Back to some fluff. The imperium is on the brink lots of variety is hard to support logistically so you take what works and mass produce it get it in the field and win...

I feel the Primaris are there because those HH box sets sold too well. Between the old players and their metals, and the new players and those HH sets, there just isn't a market for the PA marine sets. In order to continue with marines, they needed something new that they could sell, something that marine players didn't have before, but would want. Enter Primaris Marines.

That said, with all the easy build primaris marines in ciculation, they too might need replacing in 2-4 years. 

22 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Back to some fluff. The imperium is on the brink lots of variety is hard to support logistically so you take what works and mass produce it get it in the field and win...

Well, that's what happens when you engage the entire galaxy in eternal war....You need the variety of options to engage lots of different types of opponents. They could develope diplomatic skills and start looking for peace with at least some of the factions, but that's clearly not going to happen, so they need their variety.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:28 PM, VonVilkee said:

I'd have nerd raged at that rescaling. I'm still just a little bitter about the complete rework orks got going to third edition. 

My first army lovingly collected and 3/4 painted went from a full force plus options to half an army and the new line did not look good next to the old. At least with primaris being a different unit type it had a reason and power armor helps in this side by side. I ended up trading away all those lovely 2nd ed Blood Axes made a killing really as trade stock for chaos back then. I still regularly use those marines I got, remembering my orks fondly as I do. I enjoy being able to continue to use them and have others actually recognize what they are, if primaris replaces them all uhg!

Same, I had a Snakebite themed army with tons of artillery and cyboar riders.  In a twinkling, 80% of the army was "squatted" and the rest just looked goofy and wrong,

I lucked out that a buddy wanted to keep playing 2nd Ed and bought them off me.  

• Like 1