Deadzone (How come we don't have a Mantic Sub-Forum?)

pretre

Played a real game with an adult the other day. It was awesome. My Marauders got completely destroyed. lol

Blaze Away is crazy good.

Also, second survey is coming up and I'm trying to decide how crazy I want to go. If anyone wants to get rid of anything they got, let me know before I start pledging. :)

I did hop in on the Deadzone Kickstarter, as did another friend of mine. Sadly, I have been super busy with the holidays and I havent even read the rule book as of yet. I got in at the strikezone level, got all of the facations, and the super-booster for each one. I wanted to keep them all "balanced" if possible. Granted I did add the Goblin Mech thing, just had to get the cool goblinly thing.

I did manage to go though everything to make sure its all there before the deadline at the end of Janurary. About another week and I'll have time to look at the rules and start putting together one of the factions.

How do you like it so far?

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I tried a 70 this weekend. We didn't have the right terrain and we tried right after hor kill team game so probably mixed rules a bit. Impressions, th exploding die effect is new to me, I got 8 success on 3 die roll. My opponent had a 5 die roll so obviously an upsetting result.

Feels like you need to do the terrain right.

Blaze away seemed underwhelming since we kept drawing cards that allowed us to ignore.

We played plague versus enforcers and man enforcers are tough, 4+ survive is amazing.

I really like it so far over hor kill team. I like the secret missions, I nuked my opponent but lost because he had the objective of survive and just hid by turn 6 whe I engaged he earned 12 vp and I. Had at max 12 to earn from objectives.

I can't believe how hard it is to kill guys, we tied something like 50% of the roll offs or only causing one damage so wounds being shrugged off by tough or armor. Can't way to play again and would like to do a campaign.

Ooh! Good for you!

My responses:

- Exploding dice are awesome! They make things very up in the air.

- Terrain does need to be right. I suggest a very heavy terrain board with no clear lanes down the board.

- Blaze Away is crucial when defending against Plague. Remember that you can use models to support you on it. That being said, Steadfast card is a real kick in the teeth. Make sure you're only holding the right number of cards though.

- 4+ Survive is very good. Enforcers are tough to take down.

- Secret missions are super fun. It gets better with Campaign play when you pick your mission before the game and build your list towards it. Makes list building a lot of fun.

- Killing. This becomes less of a problem once you get used to it. You need to work your modifiers. Extra dice are super important. (Aim, Marksman, Sniper, High ground, Clear Shot) If you're just throwing 4 vs 3, you'll never kill anything. Throw 8 vs 4 and things go different. Also, head shot and the other card modifiers are really good.

I should change my sig for deadzone as well.

When a kickstarter like this ends they send out a survey to each backer to see what options they want.  Deadzone has been split into two shipments, and mantic is sending out a second survey so backers will be able to add whatever they want to their original pledge to buy additional models.

Just this! This is really good for Mantic and us in this case because:

- Survey 1: This is the first wave stuff (i.e. the stuff that is ready for production). I just pick the stuff I know I want, although I have the option to pick as much as I want (even more than my pledge amount). I get a chance to get them, play with them and enjoy them for a while.

- Survey 2: Everything that wasn't ready the first time is now ready (second wave). I can now pick anything I want for any amount and now that I've had a chance to play with them, I'm all excited so liable to buy more.

And since both surveys are at the kickstarter prices (which are way good right now), it allows me to pick up stuff cheap!

If anyone cares (since we're talking about it), here was/is my Deadzone plan:

Survey 1 (What I wanted at the end of the KS): Strike Team (Early Bird) + Free Faction (Forgefather, Wave 2) + Expanded Universe (Forgefathers / Asterians Starters, Wave 2)

Survey 2 (What I want now): Keeping my Free Faction (Forgefather, Wave 2) + Expanded Universe (Forgefathers / Asterians Starters, Wave 2) and adding:

- 6 Booster Bundles (1 for each faction) at BOGO

- 2 extra Books

- Acrylic Counters

- Urban Skirmish (landing pad and fortifications)

- Compendium Hardback (if I don't get it for free for spending so much)

And then based on the final pics, I may add the four walkers (Corp and Plague Striders, Stuntbot and Iron Ancestor), Peacekeepers, Zombies, Named Characters and the last two mercs.

So to say that this was a success in my eyes is probably an even bet.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Bro g I have reb starter I have no interest in. I plan to down size to enforcers and 1 other faction but am in on all wave 1. I look forward to trying it again but I agree pretre campaign seems to be where this shines.

Also I like how the game revovles more around denial than killing. Blaze away is awesome and it is neat how no damage is done.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

The models are not cartoony. The models came out fine, I'm just not inspired to paint them.

I know the enforcers are the generic space marine looking models, but I liked hem the most. I'm not much of a fan of the dwarves, but the other 2nd wave race I might check out. The mauraders in warpath were just too small, and I found the variety in this game to be nice.

Are you playing 70 exclusively or have you tried different point levels. Seems like you can't go lower.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I think 70 is hard to work ith now with so few model choices. I found either I had 7 points unspent or trade half my army in so I could get to 70.

I don't think we need more points per say just more models, so I look forward to wave 2 survey.