Tau Bomber, Important Piece?

JamesBeadle

I was just wondering how important the Tau bomber was to the Tau battleforce? A trade I am engaged in with a friend of mine has changed and I am now getting a second Riptide (I'm very impressed with the stats on this model) instead of a Tau bomber. Are the bombers played very often? Are they worthwhile? Looking at the stats it seems the second Riptide would benefit my army more.

My blog has an article on using the bomber.  The bomber is pretty cool.

Now I use two Riptides (three is overkill in my opinion) but dont buy into the opinion that bombers arent cool.  You just have to support them correctly.  Just as you do in any lit that wants to feature an air force.

For non-tournament play, two riptides is perfect. Bombers are not bad, there are just far better anti-air options and shooting in the codex.

Dakka jets during a Waaaagh! are brutal. I had one strip 5 hp of my thunderhawk in escalation. Two could one shot it.

The Sunshark is an okay unit, if not an amazing one. It can hit a bunch of stuff, it's got some alright AA guns, and a Skyfire Markerlight is never to be underestimated. However, it's not especially cheap and it's VERY fragile, so it's not really a strong tournament choice. It's definitely not as good as a Riptide, although it can be a lot of fun.

I like both of the TAU flyers and those would probably be the handful of reasons I have to start TAU. That said, I really don't need another army, much less, more models to not paint....

-Pax

Did the mathhammer a while back on the tau flyer (either), because it does not rely on the evasion to protect it from interceptor weapons (4++) it has pretty impressive entry turn firing, as opposed to the DA flyers, SM storm talon or necron flyers, which remain lackluster if they are forced to evade (and therefore snapfire) on the turn of entry.

I agree with LH on the lack of clear purpose with initial looks at the flyer. It also has many misleading features, like mid-low range weapons on a model that must move 18" (or more) per turn, which equal out to long range, but don't look like them on paper.

-Pax

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

James the bomber is an auto include. I have way too many and but not enough riptides, so just let me know I will take that riptide from you and give you my bomber.

Kidding, I have played bomber twice it is fun, decent flier but so many better ways to spend points in tau dex. The bomb is junk if you can't roll well.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I hope you didn't infer that I thought it was junk, just not point effective in a highly point efficient codex. A lot of dexes would appreciate it in theirs. I had fun using it.

If you are interested in a trade james pm me. My complaint is it is not aesthetically pleasing. It just seems too small for a pilot. I mean the air caste are suppose to be tall.

Well I guess most things are junk if you can't roll well, but I apprecaite the wisdom. :P

I would like to get one. I read LH's article and though I didn't understand it all, it sounds like if you play them you want three of them. 

I think its the best way to go, but my friend uses just one and seems to make it work quite well.  It's a big source of annoyance round after round.