Trading for a GK army, what is essential?

JamesBeadle

I think I had the right idea with the Assassins. My mistake was not fielding enough of them since I also had 20 expensive Purifiers. Next GK army will feature 4-5 Henchmen squads including some warrior "bullet catchers," 2-3 Crusaders per squad, and a meltagun or two. I'm going to ditch the Land Raider to buy two more squads and with the Purifiers reduced or gone I have room for a Stormraven or two.

Well yes, Pax is basically correct. I wanted to know if allies were critical for the army as I have lots of Power armor/Terminator marines and really nothing else (well razorbacks and Dreadknights). I am hearing from most quarters that Flyers are essential and I couldn't afford to buy them, then Dagna traded for them for me. In talking to some friends, Knights need bodies. It seems the IG are the cheapest way to produce them, and flyers as well.

IG have nearly been relegated to ally status instead of as a primary force to an extent I have found highly unusual. Its not that NO ONE plays IG as primary but it is quite noticeable how many fewer do. And IG is not even a bad codex! They need to publish a couple of the models though. That's for sure.

I know a few regulars, and I do them as primary from time to time. IG suffer from numbers required to start (making allies more appealing) and from their lack of durable warlord options (basically, the opposite issue from the last codex where having their IC's in a retinue made each HQ worth 2x KP).

The present army has overpriced non-vehicle models when compared to present SM unit costs, while the vehicle units are pretty competitive price, but suffer from certain GW FAQs (mostly the lumbering behemoth being replaced with the unhelpful heavy rule). 

IG also can be easy allies to many armies and can fill gaps related to a need for awesome vehicles, numerous scoring models, longer range, or more effective flyers.

Many of the IG artillery tanks suffer from AV10 side armor, making them quickly dispatched by enemy barrage weapons which always hit side arc. This is a big issue with the SM thunderfire cannon, which is now barrage and considerably more durable than an artillery tank.

I will note that an INQ detachment being able to be the warlord for an IG primary really solves the issue with IG warlord HQs (INQ in TDA, 65pts for 2+/5++ on an "IG" warlord which grants stubborn to units he joins).

-Pax

Anyhow, after looking into it (with help from you all, thank you) all I really want for the army is a good ally contigent with some fliers, and a Landraider. I am slowly building up to it, and IG are perfect. I like the Dreamscape stuff because I didn't want my IG to look vanilla. I just need three more plasma guns for veteran squads and three chimera's for ground troops. 

Well alrighty then!

I just just organized my IG.  I have 108 Guardsman standing on their bases in various stages of repair, PLUS another 40 Guardsman or so that are special weapons, Vox casters or some other form of dude.  Then theres the 21 heavy weapons teams, the 25 or so Storm Troopers, and I think over 30 command models, from platoon to Company commanders.

Then there's the armor.

Point is, It is really silly how many IG I have.  Lol.  Especially since I don't actually play them.  But now that I have sort of "assembled the men" it might be time to revisit the fun.

I used to play them. I don't know why folks are down on them these days, the Codex is strong and its a very versatile and fun army to collect and play. Just expensive. 

Didn't mean to be down on them in the above post. That's an evaluation after playing them a bunch. I still play them and still enjoy them, but the question was about why others might dislike them.

On thing about the IG is that they need very specialized units for certain situations. A buddy of mine at the GG league fields Mech IG with no allies. Against the Aquilla Strongpoint he was very grumbly, not because the aquilla is broken, but because he went into that battle not aware of the rules regarding it. His list couldn't cope with AV15 that couldn't be glanced to death. He hadn't needed solutions to AV15 prior, so he didn't have them. As a result, it was a very unpleasant game against that D weapon on the Aquilla.

Loads of IG solutions there, he didn't bring them. And, to be fair, he hadn't needed them prior.

-Pax

I just think it's too cool for school, how many dudes you can bring to a party.  It might not be the most practical answer to all lists, but WAVES upon WAVES of humanity washing up along the shores of certain doom, bravely firing their flashlights, and slamming in another energon clip until the enemy bolters cut them down but too late to avoid the absolute WEIGHT of their last charge.  

Dun...dun...DUUUUUUUUUN....

• Like 1