Returning to 40K (from 4th Edition)

Casiarius

I have loitered around WoW on a couple of recent Tuesdays (disreputable-looking character, grey beard, glasses). I haven't brought anything to play with, but I do intend to play some 40K "soon".

I have modest collections of:

- Salamanders (from 3rd Edition, esp. old metal Terminators on 25mm bases)

- Imperial Guard (lots of Storm Troopers / Grenadiers)

- Tau (actually my old Kroot Mercenaries force incl. 30+ Kroot Hounds and 9 Krootox)

I am really trying to sell off a lot of my unused 40K stuff and play smaller games like Kill Team, though I could field 2000+ points of any of the above using unpainted minis and allies. I have downloaded a copy of Battle Scribe and pondered some Kroot-heavy Tau lists. Though, if I procrastinate long enough the Imperial Guard codex will be out, and that's the army I would prefer to play.

There were no flyers or super-heavies when I played last. It looks like Tau can handle both with regular old battle suit models, which I have. I may need to buy some new Imperial Guard stuff to handle flyers. Since I just recently bought the 6th Edition rules and Codex: Tau, and will soon have to buy Codex: Imperial Guard and 7th Edition, I'm hoping to do this with a minimum of new miniatures purchases.

So, is anyone currently playing Kill Team? Either the GW version or Heralds of Ruin? I have seen some discussion of it on the board here, but few specifics.

I have loitered around WoW on a couple of recent Tuesdays (disreputable-looking character, grey beard, glasses). I haven't brought anything to play with, but I do intend to play some 40K "soon".

I have modest collections of:

- Salamanders (from 3rd Edition, esp. old metal Terminators on 25mm bases)

- Imperial Guard (lots of Storm Troopers / Grenadiers)

- Tau (actually my old Kroot Mercenaries force incl. 30+ Kroot Hounds and 9 Krootox)

I am really trying to sell off a lot of my unused 40K stuff and play smaller games like Kill Team, though I could field 2000+ points of any of the above using unpainted minis and allies. I have downloaded a copy of Battle Scribe and pondered some Kroot-heavy Tau lists. Though, if I procrastinate long enough the Imperial Guard codex will be out, and that's the army I would prefer to play.

There were no flyers or super-heavies when I played last. It looks like Tau can handle both with regular old battle suit models, which I have. I may need to buy some new Imperial Guard stuff to handle flyers. Since I just recently bought the 6th Edition rules and Codex: Tau, and will soon have to buy Codex: Imperial Guard and 7th Edition, I'm hoping to do this with a minimum of new miniatures purchases.

So, is anyone currently playing Kill Team? Either the GW version or Heralds of Ruin? I have seen some discussion of it on the board here, but few specifics.

I remember you.

Few things.

First, WOW, not WoW. The lower case is for words like "the" and "of." WOW is Western Oregon Wargamers. I know, I'm knitpicky...

Some regulars are playing heralds of ruin. Not sure if at WOW or GG, but those are pretty close together. Can't recall who presently, but I remember conversing with them about it at GG.

As for 40k, easiest way to get into the new 40k it to play an army you already have. I'd find out which one would require the least purchases and re-learn with that one. You can always buy more or change your army later.

-Pax

PS: Welcome back to the hobby.

Are you lecturing me on grammar while using fragments like "Few things." as sentances? And after making a big deal of how incorrect WoW is, do you realize you committed the same error yourself a few sentances later? I hope we can just have fun gaming and not sweat the small stuff.

Although money is a factor, and so is competitiveness, I intend to play the army that is the most "fun", even if it costs me money and gets wiped off the table on Turn 2 by Taudar. I am guessing the most fun and varied army will be Imperial Guard, but who knows what the new codex might bring?

In terms of modeling, Guard are the army I most want to work on, since they are still in the middle of an unfinished makeover. I need to get some heads from Pig Iron, and I have a Leman Russ I chopped in half that needs work....

I do intend to post an army list soon (Tau or IG) so I can get some 2014 advice for my 2008 army building skills. Is there any specific point value that people are generally playing with on the big back table at WOW? Or at Guardian?

• Like 1

fixed.... :blush: 

Although money is a factor, and so is competitiveness, I intend to play the army that is the most "fun", even if it costs me money and gets wiped off the table on Turn 2 by Taudar. I am guessing the most fun and varied army will be Imperial Guard, but who knows what the new codex might bring?

In terms of modeling, Guard are the army I most want to work on, since they are still in the middle of an unfinished makeover. I need to get some heads from Pig Iron, and I have a Leman Russ I chopped in half that needs work....

I do intend to post an army list soon (Tau or IG) so I can get some 2014 advice for my 2008 army building skills. Is there any specific point value that people are generally playing with on the big back table at WOW? Or at Guardian?

Presently, the GG league is at 1800pts. Not sure on WOW.

Remember, this edition allows allies, so you could do a TAU/IG hybrid. That's probably a good place to start, as you like both armies and have both armies. In terms of which is primary and the other the ally, pick the one that you like the HQ of best, or the one that you want to field the most of the FOC slots from. You can switch back and forth, but it will matter for your warlord and where most of the mandatory units come from.

-Pax

The HOR kill team got tried out by a couple members a month ago or so, but hasn't gained much steam on tuesday nights, so far.    I think the guys that have been playing have had saturdays at guardian, or just randomly scheduled weekdays.

I'm, personally, happy to play low-point games/teaching games of 40k, and would enjoy trying out any of the skirmish rulesets.  I have very few nits to pick, and have no problems with unpainted or proxy models while you are trying things out.

As to your concerns(observations?), I think flyers and Super-heavys end up being the rock-paper-scissors style, where if you have things to deal with them, you're fine, and if not you struggle.  Since most games around wOw are friendly, I think its entirely appropriate to pre-amble the game with no fliers, no super heavies, etc.

In my experience, at WOW people often come prepared for a 2000 pt game, but I've seen any level being played. 

Are you lecturing me on grammar while using fragments like "Few things." as sentances? And after making a big deal of how incorrect WoW is, do you realize you committed the same error yourself a few sentances later? I hope we can just have fun gaming and not sweat the small stuff.

Imperial Guard are a pretty solid force.  they didn't make models for some of the really awesome stuff so you end up scratch building a little unless you're willing to pay Forge World Prices.  But I like IG and would love to see more IG players!

I havent seen a lot of kill team.  though if you just get on the local forums, you can usually just post up that you want a game and someone responds and says "cool, what time?"

Kroot heavy tau works.  i have 10 Kroot + 8 hounds + 3 Krootox in my own Kroot units, which I take two of.  Love me some Krootox.