Starting out a CSM army

Threejacks

My youngest (8) really likes to tinker with his models from the Dark Vengence set and im thinking its a good time to start getting it built up to run as either Ork allies or just a small force so he can learn playing against his Brothers.

I also have a Rhino and a squad of 10 regular Chaos Marines to get things started ive also been reading the new codex which I must say is pretty awesome:)

He likes the Helldrake model and yes if I was going to do an allied Ork force thing It would certainly include one so the Helldrake is probably going to be my next purchase.

But were should I go from here?

Ive started painting a few of the chosen(to keep him from buggin me about it,hehe) and ill likely stick to a Black Legion color scheme as he likes to paint and its pretty easy to just let him do the base coat,lol. Is there any benefit to getting the Black Legion supplement?

Other than the Helldrake, CSM don't really have much that's a "must have". Bikes and Spawn can be pretty fun, Havocs are good if you can put some work into converting Autocannon*, Plague Marines and Noise Marines are both good with a Marked Lord to let them be Troops, Predators are solid, MaulerFiends are also fast and make a fun accompaniment to some other fast Units. Oblits are the same reliable option they've always been, but their models are still kind of bad.

The Black Legion Supplement isn't great. It's got a couple of cool new Relics, but the requirement to take Veterans of the Long War on everything that can really adds up, and you often end up with really tiny and fragile Armies. Most of the time I've seen it used, it's just been to pull in an HQ with one of the special Relics, some Culties in Troops, and maybe open up an extra Fast or Heavy slot.

*I've heard rumours that there's going to be a new plastic Havoc kit coming out soon, which should make that less of a problem. For now, they're pretty easy to do by extending the barrel on the Heavy Bolter that comes in the CSM kit and adding one of the gargoyles from the Vehicle sprue on the end.

• Like 1

My youngest (8) really likes to tinker with his models from the Dark Vengence set and im thinking its a good time to start getting it built up to run as either Ork allies or just a small force so he can learn playing against his Brothers.

I also have a Rhino and a squad of 10 regular Chaos Marines to get things started ive also been reading the new codex which I must say is pretty awesome:)

He likes the Helldrake model and yes if I was going to do an allied Ork force thing It would certainly include one so the Helldrake is probably going to be my next purchase.

But were should I go from here?

Ive started painting a few of the chosen(to keep him from buggin me about it,hehe) and ill likely stick to a Black Legion color scheme as he likes to paint and its pretty easy to just let him do the base coat,lol. Is there any benefit to getting the Black Legion supplement?

Look at the very last blog I did. Its all about the black legion codex. I am loving the black legion. GREAT FUN TO READ and the relics are awesome.

Look at the very last blog I did. Its all about the black legion codex. I am loving the black legion. GREAT FUN TO READ and the relics are awesome.

Just checked your site out and yeah Black Legion sounds like a must have for me:).Great read by the way!

One thing I can see from reading the codex now that im past the backstory stuff is that the Chaos marines are certainly a low model count army well...unless ya spam cultists I guess,heh ..anyhow a good thing for a kid starting out and for my pocketbook.

Just checked your site out and yeah Black Legion sounds like a must have for me:).Great read by the way!

One thing I can see from reading the codex now that im past the backstory stuff is that the Chaos marines are certainly a low model count army well...unless ya spam cultists I guess,heh ..anyhow a good thing for a kid starting out and for my pocketbook.

ALL Marine armies range between 45 and 60 models on the high end.  Its probably helped propel Marine armies into 1st place in popularity.  They are much tougher as a whole than most armies.