Quick Review of Flames of War v4 Rules - GG in-store copy

barca

I read the in-store copy of v4 at GG.

First impressions:

- don't fret about special rules by nationality, most of them are still there

- hit allocation limits the "gaminess" of hits being allocated to less valuable targets

• Aiming point team gets first hit. Can swap hits, but not guaranteed
  • Removes need for "gun tank" rule, and "Priority target"

- some v3 special rules now built into card stats

- no more bogged down. Tank stops but is otherwise functional (will double-check on BF forum).

- much like Team Yankee, overall:

• terrain types simplified for cover - flat, short, tall
  • Movement is tactical, terrain dash, x-country dash, road dash

- movement is faster and more varied by type of team

- some tweaks to reward multiple template weapons in a force: observers can range in more than one battery

- some v3 gimmicks are limited or reduced (e.g., single smoke barrage per game)

- transport rules still there, so trucks and artillery tractors will still be in the game, just not in first wave of models

- like the Team Yankee rule book, this is a complete beginner book with

• background fluff on WWII, including professionally rendered maps
  • a page on each nation's armies
  • a quick start section (8 pp)
  • Explanation and pictures of most terrain types
  • rules section (approx.. 60 pp.) with examples and annotated diagrams
  • turn sequence inside the back cover: detailed and page-referenced.

- Most of the basic mechanics are the same

• Formation Commander can re-roll unit motivation checks
  • Movement, Shooting, Artillery, Air and Motivation procedures are mostly the same

- significant differences:

• A LOT MORE MANEUVER
  • In-command is not daisy-chain. Now is 6" or 8" radius from unit commander/platoon leader
  • Movement faster, more varied by unit type (e.g., cross check not same for all vehicle types)
  • Gun ranges more varied: increments of 4", not 8"
  • Dash partly like double move, but not exactly the same: still cannot shoot, but no double shots on them
  • The core movement orders apply to all nationalities (so far)
  • Everyone gets mission tactics, but based on unit morale
  • No 2iC
  • Hit allocation simplified
  • More motivation ratings to reflect unit/national differences
    • For example, Remount (recover from bailed out) and Counterattack can be separate from overall morale
  • Formation or "company morale" is significantly different - very much like Team Yankee
  • Each team shoots one type of weapon in a turn
  • Moving/pinned ROF not guesswork, always a separate value on unit card
  • Whether or not a unit gets special rules is UNAMBIGUOUS: if the rule is not a national rule, and is only available to certain units, then special rule is printed on the card.

Overall, if you are going to play FoW v4, and Team Yankee, and/or the next rules on Vietnam and the Middle East, you will easily move from one period to the other.

I leafed through the transition books for EW and LW. Seems to collate the special rules and national flavors from multiple books in each period.

Thank-You to Angel, Nathan, Emily and GG for making these books available to us

I see "cards" mentioned a lot. Are the cards going to be mandatory? Or will I still be able to use Army Builder and just my army off on a couple sheets of paper? And where might I be getting these cards for any of the models that I already own? 

I also hope that some of the British Colonial forces make it into a book at some point. If they don't, that eliminates 2/3 of my British Mid War armies.

12 hours ago, Gordianus said:

I see "cards" mentioned a lot. Are the cards going to be mandatory? Or will I still be able to use Army Builder and just my army off on a couple sheets of paper? And where might I be getting these cards for any of the models that I already own? 

I also hope that some of the British Colonial forces make it into a book at some point. If they don't, that eliminates 2/3 of my British Mid War armies.

1. Cards:

Forums > Flames Of War News > Product Discussion
Books in the 4th Ed Box Sets?
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=126&aff=127&aft=576717&afv=topic

In response to: "Posted By Cleon on 23 Jan 2017 11:26 AM
It would be nice if the two boxes at least included a single list that used the models in the box as it's core choices with a limited selection of extra options.. Sort of a 'suggested next steps sort of thing."

Response:
Phil at Battlefront, Commander-in-chief
30 Jan 2017 09:11 PM
The boxes will include the cards for the contents. This allows you to play with the box without a book if you want to. The book is well worth getting though!

Cheers

2. RE: Army Builder: don't know if Army Builder is keeping up with FoW v.4.

Contact Army Builder Tech Support at support@wolflair.com

3. "And where might I be getting these cards for any of the models that I already own? "

Check the forum at Battlefront ( www.flamesofwar.com > Community > Forums ) under the topic "Product Discussion", or post your question there.

Since Battlefront has maintained a Special Order catalog with several hundred items, and updated it periodically, then my best guess is : expect that card packs may eventually get added to the online store.

4. "...British Colonial forces make it into a book " sounds like early war, "Burning Empires"

three answers:

4.a. Short-term - see the transition books "Flames Of War, 1939-41 and 1944-45 rulebook and Special Rules and Warriors, 1939-41 and 1944-45", with Wayne Turner
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5410

4.b. The other handbooks will eventually be updated or replaced, but expect that to take several years. So don't chuck or trade your v3 books yet!

The look ahead on the Release Schedule is about 6-9 months out. Burning Empires and EW not mentioned, so far.

4.c. Some games clubs/groups (like ours in Portland, OR) still have EW and LW events using v3 rules until the those periods are better supported for v4

5. "Are the cards going to be mandatory?" maybe not, but the data on them will be.

You might have images of the cards in the handbook.  If both front and back of the cards you want are printed in the handbook you are using, then you have the information. See Team Yankee rulebook for an example. 

In that case, you will need either the cards or the handbook, but maybe not both.