opinions on two 2.5k lizard lists

I am playing in a tournament mid april and i am deciding which of these lists i like better.  Havent played with the new lizardmen much yet so i figured i would see what you guys all think.  every army in the tournament gets a free giant for their army.

LIst #1

Saurus Oldblood on Carnasaur 423pts

spear, light armor, shield, talisman of preservation

Saurus Oldblood 196pts

great weapon, armor of destiny

Skink Chief on Ancient Steg 351pts

spear, light armor, shield, bsb

sacred steg helm of itza, luckstone, ironcurse icon

Skink Priest 125pts

lvl2 beasts, dispel scroll

Skink Priest 130pts

lvl2 beasts, cube of darkness

29 Saurus 349pts

spear, full cmd

10 skink skirmishers 70pts

blowpipes

blowpipes

16 skink cohort 180pts

2 krox

5 cham skinks 65pts

3 terradons 105 pts

3 razordons 195 pts

ancient steg 240 pts

unstoppable stampede

List #2

Slann 410pts

mystery, reservoir, becalming, bsb, ironcurse icon

Saurus Oldblood 196pts

Saurus Scar-vet 372pts

carnasaur, spear, shield, light armor

talisman of preservation, loping stride

Skink Priest 90pts

beasts, dispel scroll

30 Saurus 360 pts

spears, full cmd

10 Skink skirmishers 70 pts

blowpispes

blowpipes

15 skink cohort 125 pts

1 krox

25 Temple Guard 380pts

full cmd

Ancient Steg 230pts

3 Razordons 195pts

That's not possible at 2.5k. Even minimal gear would exceed the 25% Lords in the above example. Just drop the oldblood, add in some skinks and terradons I say. I really like harassment units.

Similarly, the stegs couldn't be ancients in the above list because that'd be too much rare. At least one would have to be a reggy steggy. Not that it's a horrible thing, just something to note. In either case, I would always buy sharpened horns. There's a lot of monsters and monsterous cav in the world and that upgrade is about the best answer you've got.

What's the draw with Razordons though? I feel like the sallies are more of a "sure thing" and thus, more reliable. Plus I don't like planning on getting charged to use special rules like that. What am I missing?

i only own 1 carnasaur so double carnies is out.  you can do 2 ancient stegs if one is a hero mount as that one pulls from hero pt pool.  I am like munkie and like the harasment units which is why i am leaning towards list one.  Seems every lizardmen list includes a slann so i was tring to think out of the box while not leaving myself without magic defense...hence two skink priest with a dispel scroll and cube.  Keep the thoughts coming.  thanks guys

I love diverters and screeners. I can't see a lizard list without at least 3 skink skirmishers, and two min sized flying units.

I was just spitballing ideas

I think that an old blood kitted out for combat could be brutal on a Carnosaur.

Don't got my book handy atm. Can you take the sacred helm on an oldblood mounted? If so awesome!

Edit. Hell yes you can. Ward save him up and go with a 1+/4++ str 5(6 on charge) t6 dude with d3 str 5 impact hits.

• Like 2

Meh. It'll be awesome when it happens, but that's just sooo many points. Too high-priority for me.

I did just realize that you can take both a carnosaur and stegadon ancient in heroes at 2.5k. This is cool because it still leaves room for another ancient and some sallies/razors in rare. I'd do something like:

327: Scar-vet w/ spear, light armor, shield; carnosaur, loping stride.

296: Skink chief w/ spear, light armor, shield; ancient stegadon, sharpened horns.

It also really opens the door for some monster mash lists.

• Like 1

i have personally never been a fan of named characters.  i really want to try and make a list that can compete without a slann.  templeguard without a slaan are tempting.  i dont like them with one because the slann goes in the second rank and takes away some of the TG attacks.  i just wish lizardmen had more variety for core.  i am thinking about taking out the skrox unit and breaking it into two more units of skink skirmishers.  i just dont see a great use for the skrox unit

If the Slann went in the front rank, it would remove even more attacks. I think the second rank thing is awesome. It allows your magic bunker to get in combat with no risk to your slann. That said, a slann+TG adds up pretty quick. I do want to try a horde of Saurus with a slann and the skavenpelt banner in the unit. Could be cool.

As to the mixed cohorts, I've never been a fan. Although I did recently get the idea to take 10 skinks w/ musician and krox. At 110 points, it's in about the same range as a lot of fast cav units, which I think is acceptable. With ld 7, they can operate on the flanks and panic less. Also, opponents' lighter flanking forces like fast cav will be far less likely to charge in to stop the skinks from hurling any more javelins. 3-4 str 7 attacks is pretty daunting to low-model-count units.

What about this for a mixed approach:

495: Slann w/ Soul of Stone, Becalming Cogitation, Wandering Deliberation, Higher State of Consciousness; Dispel Scroll, Dragonbane Gem; BSB

327: Scar-vet w/ Spear, light armor, shield; Carnosaur, Loping Stride

296: Skink chief w/ Spear, light armor, shield; Ancient Stegadon, Sharpened Horns

525: 45 Saurus w/ spears, full command

70: 10 Skink Skirmishers w/ javelins and shields

70, 10 Skink Skirmishers w/ javelins and shields

108: 3 Terradons w/ fireleech bolas

108: 3 Terradons w/ fireleech bolas

250: Ancient Stegadon w/ Sharpened Horns

250: Ancient Stegadon w/ Sharpened Horns

Total: 2499

So you've got a ghost slann, a horde of saurus, and 4 monsters! That just looks like too much fun!

Yeah ghost slann can't join. Dragonbane gem is to help against magical flaming war machines (dwarves). But it's safer than a slann w/o temple guard, since he doesn't get LOS! against cannons and stone throwers.

Anyway, sorry to thread jack, I was just trying to offer up an alternative if you found yourself thinking, "either slann OR dinos."

Here is what i decided to test out

Saurus Oldblood on Carnasaur 429pts

spear, shield, ironcurse icon, sacred steg helm

Saurus Oldblood 196pts

Skink Chief on Ancient Steg 349pts

spear, light armor, bsb

talisman of preservation, ench shield

Skink Priest 125pts

lvl2 beasts, dispel scroll

Skink Priest 130pts

lvl2 beasts, cube of darkness