Does a Banner of Swiftness affect a character charging out of the unit?

So I'm not sure how to play this.  Neither way makes more or less "sense" to me since a magic banner that makes you move faster could work any number of ways.

What's confusing to me is that you determine if the charge succeeds or fails BEFORE the character leaves the unit.  

So imagine a M4 character (M5 with banner) charges at a unit 10.5" away.  At the time the charge distance is rolled, the character has +1M, right?  So he rolls a 6, for a total of 11", and the charge is successful.  But then of course he leaves the unit and immediately loses the +1M… so does he now FAIL the charge that he just a moment ago was going to make?

Please don't get the idea that I'm trying to "get an edge" or something… all armies can take this banner, after all.  I just want to know how this is played so I play it right :)

Thanks,

Nathan

You could go either way on this one.  I would side more with charging at his movement stat at the start of the charge, but can understand why people would think the other.  If it ever comes up in a game and there is a dispute, just roll off.   Hopefully that 1" wont decide the final outcome of the game :)

My $.02:

You have to determine whether the charge is successful or not before moving any models. If (2d6+Movement) is greater than or equal to the distance the charge is successful.  BRB p.19

The hero leaves the unit (and drops to move 4) after the charge is determined to be a success.  However, "[a] charging unit can move an unlimited amount - it's already been found to be within charge range, so we don't worry about distance from this point on".  BRB p.20

I think it is as clear as anything ever is in Warhammer that the charge completes successfully.  I've never seen it come up in play, but that is how I would rule it without hesitation.

• Like 1