Fantasy Tournament?

Hey all -

The Pac NW is getting recognized as a region separate from California (the region formally known as "West" for the Warhammer US Masters. More info is here: http://www.wargamersusa.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2 Basically, think regional events, where each region sends a team of 10 to a national event. 

We may be asked to host a qualifying event here in Bellingham, and i think that would be pretty cool. I'd be willing to run an event for the first couple of years. Nothing near the insanity of Walpurgis, but some fun narrative  scenarios with a light amount of swag, and the typical Warhamster solid play but epic good times expectations.

What do y'all think? What would be your ideal tournament? Number of days? Number of games? Points limit? Restrictions and/or composition? Should we pursue this?

I would love to do a fantasy tournament here. I have actually been thinking of running something myself. I was thinking of using the Swedish comp system or possibly ETC. The idea would be to comp down some of the most powerful builds so that it would be a more level playing field. As it is some armies can't do too well against the top builds of other more competitive armies. I like the idea of a 2 day event with 5 games personally as I feel 5 games gets a much better read of who in fact was the best player at the event. As far as points go then I would say anything from 2400 to 2800 pts is ideal.

While I do love narrative stuff and am overall a more casual gamer myself I would still prefer for the event to be a little competitive. I like the idea of swag but I also feel that whoever plays the best and wins the most games deserves the largest prize. I was thinking of doing just a one day thing first in a month or 2 just to test the waters but would love to ramp up to the multi day event.

• Like 2

Joey if there is one thing I've learned ramping up doesn't work. Go for the gusto as giving options to procrastinate means you have the excited ones burn out and the procrastinators figure they can play later go big or go home to languish with barely enough players cuz you can't convince them all to show up...

• Like 2

I would love to do a fantasy tournament here. I have actually been thinking of running something myself. I was thinking of using the Swedish comp system or possibly ETC. The idea would be to comp down some of the most powerful builds so that it would be a more level playing field. As it is some armies can't do too well against the top builds of other more competitive armies. I like the idea of a 2 day event with 5 games personally as I feel 5 games gets a much better read of who in fact was the best player at the event. As far as points go then I would say anything from 2400 to 2800 pts is ideal.

While I do love narrative stuff and am overall a more casual gamer myself I would still prefer for the event to be a little competitive. I like the idea of swag but I also feel that whoever plays the best and wins the most games deserves the largest prize. I was thinking of doing just a one day thing first in a month or 2 just to test the waters but would love to ramp up to the multi day event.

You sir have sold me. 

Well most of what I was saying was I want to start running fairly regular tournaments with your typical format of a 1 day 3 game event. Then if I find I am any good at that I could try my hand at an annual multi day event.

It would prolly go better for fantasy but that was kinda my goal here for the 40k but terrain for a bigger event would need to be organized. That was my failing point... Fantasy we prolly have enough for a decent sized event already, much smaller push and a smaller pond, there are allot of 40 k events already I don't want to compete with... Just some thoughts about what I've learned.

Lets talk about this over beers tomorrow!

I agree with Corey, that building up isn't the best thing (though nothing precludes smaller, more regular tournaments). I'm also down with something more competitive, but with comp and soft scores determining overall. Old-school WCP GT style.

• Like 1

im curious what you guys talked about the other night. I just got off the phone with my friend who is helping organize the NW tournament circuit and we talked about the part that Bellingham could play. He mentioned that we should shoot for a single day tourny, since we dont have a tone of room and single day tourny's will be just as important as larger two day events for the circuit.  

• Like 2

No, his name is Paul. He is handling the southern area while Aidan is in control of the north. According to my friend the only reason we are being considered for the circuit is his connection to me. I guess Aidon didn't think the hamsters were worth contacting. Paul will actually be coming up to bham next Friday to play some games. maybe we could get together at some point and talk stuff out. 

• Like 1

Im not really sure about the inner workings of whats going on or how its happening, but Paul said he was helping Aidon by getting in contact with game stores in the south. So I dont think its a schism or something, just a lot for 1 person to handle. Again, Paul will be up here to play some games on Friday, so if you can you should stop by and chat. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.