8th ed Dark Elf Assassin builds

Truth be told I'll probably end up giving him the BDE just because I like my Assassin better than the Master character who currently uses the BDE, haha :)  Since he appears in a cloud of smoke (like every good Ninja) I'm gonna name him POOF! the Magic Dragon :)

You and I need to get a game in so we can see who's Assassin rules supreme!

Mine starts with an advantage in that it has an extra appendage though...

I'd expect three models generally to attack him, including supporting attacks, right?  Four if there's not a corner character to fight him?

3? Wouldn't it always be an even number if you include supporting? Or do you mean 3 and the character for 4?

Regardless, if you reform the unit to be wider than the opposing unit, you'll end up with at least one model who's only in base contact with only one other model. If the DE player charges, they can guarantee that happens on the side with the enemy character. If the assassin does his job, then he's looking at minimal return attacks.

If the character is in the interior of the unit, he's got a much higher risk of dying but at least he gets to strike first.

3? Wouldn't it always be an even number if you include supporting? Or do you mean 3 and the character for 4?

Regardless, if you reform the unit to be wider than the opposing unit, you'll end up with at least one model who's only in base contact with only one other model. If the DE player charges, they can guarantee that happens on the side with the enemy character. If the assassin does his job, then he's looking at minimal return attacks.

If the character is in the interior of the unit, he's got a much higher risk of dying but at least he gets to strike first.

Yeah I was discounting the character as dead already :)

But we're in agreement: positioning the Assassin after the combat is joined makes it much easier to reduce unwanted RnF attacks back against the Assassin!

Hmm, nice NtK, I didn't count the BDE into the build option.  That would be an awesome thing, actually.  Just the addition of the breath weapon attacks could be enough to bring him along to try and win a round of combat.

Yeah, but where's the creativity in using all his point on one item?!?  Still, I can't resist the Breath Weapon at Initiative thing… pretty awesome.

The biggest downside to the BDE config in my estimation, is that he reveals at start of your movement, or either player's CC phase… so to use the BDE at start of turn, you have to reveal him at your opponent's CC phase, endure a round of attacks with literally NO defense, then use the BDE at the start of the next turn.  Unlike my earlier config, where he has a good chance of survival into the second round thanks to Charmed Shield and Opal Amulet, and can use his Potion for round 2.  

So the BDE guy really wants to reveal in a unit that is going to declare a charge next turn that can't be fled from.  Otherwise he eats the BDE, and the enemy flees, BDE wasted :(

Actually, you risk it for the biscuit, IMO.  You get in combat and you wait to reveal him until it's your turn.  You don't reveal him in the first round of combat, you keep them guessing.  You reveal the BDE and the assassin at the same time and now you get the S6/T6 assassin w/breath weapon attacks. 

I *wish* he could do that, you can only reveal Assassin at start of your Movement phase, or either player's CC phase, but NOT at the start of the turn, which is when the BDE has to be used :(

Hmmm, I guess I was thinking of older edition rules where he was essentially not in the game until revealed… okay, here's the Assassin "Hidden" rule text:

A hidden Assassin can choose to deploy 'hidden' within another friendly Dark Elf infantry unit (but not Harpies) - make a note of which unit is concealing the Assassin.

A hidden Assassin is not placed on the table during deployment, but is revealed later during the game.  If the concealing unit is wiped out or flees from the battlefield before the 

Assassin is revealed, the Assassin counts as a casualty.  There is no other way an Assassin can be harmed before he is revealed.

Hidden Assassins may be revealed at the start of any of your Movement phases, or at the start of either player's Close Combat phase; declare that the unit in question contains an Assassin and place the model anywhere in the front rank of that unit, displacing models as you normally would if a character had joined the unit.

So strictly reading I guess you're right MN, and he could use the BDE before being revealed.  I'd hazard a guess right now that they will say "no" to this in a FAQ later, but until then I can't see any reason to disallow it.  Anyone else?

If this is allowed, I think this opens up some weird scenarios!  What about a Crown of Command, for example?

Fair enough, our DE book needs like a 6 page FAQ.  There are a lot of things which are unclear right now.

I'll just throw two examples out here:

Lore attribute for Lore of Dark Magic states if you you roll a double or triple.  What happens if you roll triple 3's and double 5's?  Do you get 3D6+2D6?  The rule states if the casting attempt contains any double or any triple; not one or the other.

Kouran Darkhand has the armour of grief.  According to his rules everytime an enemy model makes a successful To Hit roll against him in close combat that model immediately suffers a S5 hit.  Technically, the way it's worded, his armour could kill his attacker before wounds are rolled for.