Crisis Suit Config?

andy

Also unfamiliar with Tau. Lord Hanuar (spelling?) is one of the dedicated Tau players on the site. Surprised he hasn't offered advice yet. 

I do own Xenos 2 and did glance at it. Wow, some neat options there. Personally, I'd probably go with 2 weapons and one support per suit, but if I had a very specific target in mind, I may even take two support systems and only one weapon.

Of the support systems that stand out, the big one is the one that allows you too shoot enemy units that deepstrike within 12" of you. It's more avoidable than in prior editions, to deny this, simply by deploying outside of 12" but doing so means deploying outside of rapid fire range for marine plasmaguns, being out of range for marine melta guns, and being unable to charge without bonuses on the charge roll (I think some units can charge further than 12"). So it's a pretty hard counter to enemy deep strike options.

Wish I could take a unit or two as allies for my Chaos. 

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

... other stuff...

Wish I could take a unit or two as allies for my Chaos. 

This actually ties into a question I have been meaning to post ... look for an allies topic. 

On topic best defense is a good offense. If you have a specific support system in mind to help kill things cool other wise more dice is more dead enemy. 

Good knowledge offered here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tau40K/

I haven't played yet with my Tau, but consensus seems to be that on Crisis suits, the only choice that might be useful would be shield generator.  And that only really makes sense if you aren't running a lot of ablative drones.  Modeling wise, definitely need to magnetize, list building wise probably best to stick with moar gunz.  I'll probably run one unit with 3x3 flamers and one with 3x3 burst cannons myself.

Edited by Kelharis
a word

16 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

This actually ties into a question I have been meaning to post ... look for an allies topic. 

On topic best defense is a good offense. If you have a specific support system in mind to help kill things cool other wise more dice is more dead enemy. 

I think having an early warning override on a couple of units would be a smart choice, purely to deny turn 1 DS units from either charging or shooting. And the upgrade is a meager 8pts. I don't currently play Tau, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Recently say a game with necrons vs tyranids. Tyranids rolled a "6" Cult ambush on a giant blob of genestealers, which allowed them deploy within 9", move normally, then charge. So they easily made their charge and really ruined the necron player's army. Granted, lucky rolling, but this could have been a lot less devastating if they got some shots at the genestealers beforehand or were forced to set up futheraway. 

The problem with Early Warning Override on Crisis Suits is that for it to work, the suits must be on the table. Crisis suits are MUCH more valuable when held in deep strike reserve themselves ("Manta Strike") then bombed in (Homing Beacons FTW). I've tinkered with Shield Generators on my suits, but typically the Crisis team is inside rapid fire range and gets wasted by failing 3+ saves rather than by special weapons. In either case, the third weapons would pay dividends.

Advanced Targeting System (-1 AP to all weapons) seems tasty, but Tau shooing isn't very good so I think an extra chance to hit >> better wounding. The first step of Marker Lights is re-roll 1's, so you'd have to be crazy to sacrifice more shots for the Multi-tracker (re-roll 1's).

Guess that answers the question, eh? MOAR GUNS.