Saim Hann Eldar and 8th

Bosco

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Additionally, your only S8+ weapons have only 36" of range, so you may find your guardians inadequate as backfield units since they can't target the whole table from the backfield of a 6'x4' table.

I've almost never had any weapons with that kind of range available, so that doesn't worry me too much, but it is worth pointing out. Thank you.

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Army has only 2 units with melee weapons, and those 2 units are your Warlord and a Troops unit. Not overly expendable units.

Yeah, I'm pretty much abandoning melee with that build. Given the overall speed of the list I'm banking on just never engaging or using the built in retreat from the fly keyword to break away if it eventually happens in most cases.  I'm tempted to drop the autarch in this build for another warlock skyrunner and a couple more bikes though since his only significant utility is his refreshing CPs on an unrelated dice roll.

• Thanks 1

Personal suggestion would be to upgrade the Bright Lances to Missile Launchers. Aside from +12" of range, the Missile Launcher can use the "Starhawk Missile" Stratagem, which the Guardians can take advantage of since they, and their weapon platforms, are Infantry. +5pts per. The eldar version of the missile Launcher also has a -1 AP frag missile variant for zero cost increase over the slightly worse imperium/chaos version.

I know, the Bright Lances are iconic, but for the guardians specifically, I think the missile lauchers are the better weapon. 

As for melee, could look into Shining Spears to add melee without losing theme. Baharroth is also a pretty quick HQ option, his melee really isn't bad, and his profile is quite impressive/similar compared to a Skyrunner Autarch. Your call, just suggestions.

12 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Personal suggestion would be to upgrade the Bright Lances to Missile Launchers. Aside from +12" of range, the Missile Launcher can use the "Starhawk Missile" Stratagem, which the Guardians can take advantage of since they, and their weapon platforms, are Infantry. +5pts per. The eldar version of the missile Launcher also has a -1 AP frag missile variant for zero cost increase over the slightly worse imperium/chaos version.

I know, the Bright Lances are iconic, but for the guardians specifically, I think the missile lauchers are the better weapon. 

As for melee, could look into Shining Spears to add melee without losing theme. Baharroth is also a pretty quick HQ option, his melee really isn't bad, and his profile is quite impressive/similar compared to a Skyrunner Autarch. Your call, just suggestions.

12 extra inchs of range is huge when you consider those guardians should be hiding and as far away from damage as possible. They are pretty darn fragile. 

And I'll agree with you. Shining Spears are A+ units.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, paxmiles said:

6 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

12 extra inchs of range is huge when you consider those guardians should be hiding and as far away from damage as possible. They are pretty darn fragile. 

And I'll agree with you. Shining Spears are A+ units.

I definitely agree that the added range of the missile launcher is pretty useful for their (guardians camping objectives in the backfield) preferred use, and the more versatile firing modes are also appealing, I will see if I can perhaps make the platforms modular to change the weapon choice as needed. Nothing is painted yet so it isn't hurting any sort of progress to date.

I definitely like the shining spears, but they are like my warlock skyrunners in that I'm going to have to do some pretty significant conversion work (kit bashing, greenstuff, etc.) before they're anything resembling playable vs most other units just needed stripping/painting/basing to be ready so planning around them isn't a good idea yet.  I have included both the spears and warlock skyrunner conclaves in some alternative lists which had a greater melee focus, but even then melee is part of a greater whole rather than the list focus.  As it is I like a more run-and-gun approach for what I expect to be playable in a reasonable timeline and will likely drop the autarch for another warlock skyrunner and perhaps a couple more windriders if points allow, though re-rolling 1's within 6" of the autarch is pretty tempting for building bubbles of focused effort temporarily throughout the game.

• Like 1