Dogs-of-War 2019 - Flames of War Tournament

barca

WHAT: Dogs-of-War 2019, a Flames of War tournament, Mid-War, North Africa, v4 Rules. 109 pts
 (WWII Historical Miniatures Wargame in 15mm)
WHEN: Saturday, March 9, 10:00 AM to 8:25 PM
(setup begins at 10:05 AM)
WHERE: Guardian Games, 345 SE Taylor St, Portland, OR 97214
WHO, PARTICIPANTS: Any Flames of War player who can bring an army, and pay the fee. As per GG store policy" "All members of your party must be 21+ with valid ID, and no beverages from outside of the store are allowed per our agreement with the OLCC."
WHO, SPONSORS: Sponsored by Rose City Dukes and Duchesses and Guardian Games.
ENTRY FEE:  $20 at registration, paid to store clerk, front register, and sign in on the sign-up sheet.
OVERHEAD COST and PRIZES: The first $50.00 of fees go to room rental and the remainder of fees go to prizes for this tournament.
RULES: Battlefront Flames of War, fourth edition, and v 4 Lessons from the Front , dated JUNE 2019. No house rules.
FORCE LISTS: All Official Battlefront MW North Africa lists: MW handbooks or Forces-of-War. See section 2, below for details.
PERIOD: Mid-War
THEATRE: North Africa
POINTS: 109 points total:  100 points of units and addtions, plus up to 9 points of command cards ( 2019 North American Points and Locations )
FORMAT: 1 day, 3 rounds, 2.5 hours each

PRIZES: 1 (or more) Box(es) of Battlefront Models and store gift certificates (Guardian Games)
Contacts and social media: email: RoseCityDukes@gmx.com

Our Blog post for this event.
Our Meetup listing

1.  TOURNAMENT LOCATION:

###########################
Guardian Games is centrally located in the SE Industrial Area of Portland, Oregon. Just a few blocks North of OMSI, at the corner of MLK and Taylor Street near the Morrison Bridge off-ramp. Portland streetcar CL line, Taylor St stop. Tri-Met buses 6 & 15.
Street Address: 345 SE Taylor Street, Portland, OR 97214
Web SITE. http://www.ggportland.com
Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/ggportland/
Map of Available PARKING https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1wATLVet9rLNaeI1pkgZ2gS1rvMA
Behavior in and around the store: http://www.ggportland.com/store-policies/
2.  ARMY LISTS:
##################
Points value is non-negotiable. 109 points or less, not more.
 - 109 points total:
 - 100 points of units and additions to units, plus up to 9 points of command cards.
 - If you do not use command cards, then your list is 100 points
As a boon to ENFILADE! Flames of War tournament, we are allowing up to three different lists in this tournament. This allows players who want to try out their North Africa lists before the ENFILADE! Flames of War tournament. If you want to play the same list through all three missions of this event, then that is an option. Gamers can submit and play up to 3 different lists, but each list must be assigned to a mission before registration time.
Bring 3 copies of each list: 1) for the GM, 2) for your opponent; 3) for yourself. Each list states the mission that the list will be used for.
The list includes: Your Name, (avatar optional), type of Force (Infantry/Tank/Mechanized), Mission in which the list will be used
How to determine your type of force:
 - More Infantry units than Tank units = Infantry Force
 - More Tank units than Infantry units = Tank Force
 - Number of Tank units = number of Infantry units = Mechanized Force
 - At least 2 infantry units are mounted in halftracks = Mechanized Force

Army lists to be submitted via email to grognard_fow@yahoo.com NLT midnight, March 7th, for validation. March 1st, for validation.
I will NOT have time to validate your list(s) after March 7th. March 1st.
If your army list is not submitted by March 7th March 1st, your army will not be in the tournament.
Books:
FW242 Afrika Korps , FW243 Fighting First, FW244 Avanti, FW245 Armoured Fist or Desert Rats*
      "Armoured Fist Includes Desert Rats units and adds new units and models."  There are some command card changes beween the two. barca will check on this and create a forum thread with the significant differences.

#########
3.  CARDS:
Command Cards = Yes
 - Your Command Cards are part of your army list. You cannot swap out different cards after you submit your list.
Fog of War Objective Cards = No
#########

4.  WHAT TO BRING. <edited FEB 27>
#########
In addition to the fee and army, you must bring your own:
 - Army list, printed (see "List Notes", below), legible, 3 copies  of each list (1 for organizer, 1 for each opponent, 1 for yourself)

• LIST NOTE #1: if you have a digital PDF or the digital BF Forces app, and can display your list to your opponent before the start of the mission, this is sufficient for presenting the list to your opponent.
  • LIST NOTE #2: The GM sill requires a digital copy of your list(s) BEFORE the event, or a printed copy at Registration.

- If you use proxies, the proxy substitution must be written on your list
 - UNIT CARDS for your teams (or Intelligence handbook that contains the same data)
 - Command Cards, if you use them
  - Templates
 - Dice
 - Tokens
 - Measuring tape
 - Any bags or large containers you bring should have a completed luggage tag, or some obvious means of identifying the owner of the bag or container.
#########

5. MISSIONS
(see the UPDATED More Missions online PDF) or easier-to-print version Flames of War - More Missions (no background texture) : https://www.flamesofwar.com/portals/0/Documents/MoreMissions2017/FOWMoreMissionsNB.pdf
FIRST MISSION = Counterattack
SECOND MISSION = No Retreat
THIRD MISSION = Free-for-All

6.  TABLES REQUESTED:
#########
6 tables, elevated, Warhammer/40k style setup, with battle mats.
Table size: 4' x 6'
Battle area: 4' x 6'

7.  SIMPLIFIED SCHEDULE:
#########
START/END: 10:05 AM / 8:30 PM
SETUP: 10:05-10:30 AM
Missions and Instructions: 10:50 AM
Dice Drop: 11:00 AM
Lunch: 1:30 - 2:30
Tear-down: 7:15 PM
Awards: 8:00 PM
END: 8:25 PM

I am requesting that as many people as possible arrive at or as close to 10:05 as possible so that we have maximum help in setting up the terrain (10:05-10:50).
#########

8.  TIME PARAMETERS OF EACH ROUND:
#########

Time per mission is 2 hrs + 15 min, same as ENFILADE!
SETUP/DEPLOYMENT: 10 minutes per round. Units not deployed after 10 minutes go into reserve.
PLAY MISSION: 2 hrs + 5 minutes, hard stop.

9.  Prizes
#########
9.a . Prizes available:
Best general, by points: Box of Battlefront models (est. at $30-45), or Store Gift Cert
Runner-up General: Store Gift Cert (est. at $15-25)
Best Painted Platoon: Store Gift Cert (est. at $10-25)
Best Sportsman: Store Gift Cert (est. at $10-25)

Value of the gift certificates depends on the number of participants.

10. Procedures
#########
10.a.  Best General: Most VICTORY points in all 3 rounds.
10.b.  Runner-up General: Second highest VICTORY points in all 3 rounds.
10.c.  Best Painted Platoon (details will be in Player's Packet)
10.d.  Best Sportsman (voting details will be in Player's Packet)

11.   DETAILED SCHEDULE:
##################
10:00 AM - Store Opens
10:05 AM - 10:30 AM = Terrain Setup
10:30 AM - 10:50 AM = Registration
10:50 AM - 11:00 AM = Instructions, Assignments and Missions
11:00 AM – 1:15 PM = ROUND 1, Mission = Counterattack
1:15 PM = ROUND 1 Determine winner, points and turn in results and votes
1:15 - 1:30 = Setup for Painting Contest (can setup before 1:30 if your battle gets done early)
1:30 - 2:30 = Lunch break and Painting Contest: Judging of painting
2:30 PM – 4:45 PM = ROUND 2, second mission: No Retreat
4:45 PM = ROUND 2 Determine winner, points and turn in results and votes
4:45 PM – 5:00 PM = Short break
5:00 PM - 7:15 PM = ROUND 3, third mission: Free-for-All
7:15 PM = ROUND 3 Determine winner, points and turn in results and votes
7:15 PM - 8:00 PM = Put away terrain while GM tallies results
8:00 PM - 8:25 PM = Award prizes

12.   Expected attendance:
##################
10-12 gamers. If we get more sign-ups, I will try to get more tables.

13.   NOTES:
##################
It is highly recommended that you practice with these parameters:
your army
missions listed
battle area (4x6)
FoW Official rules, plus the Lessons From the Front.
No house rules.
Time constraints (setup=10 min, battle=2 hrs + 20 min)
Recommended Average Time per player's half of each turn: 10 minutes.
Review the Victory points mechanism in the rulebook. This has changed since the third edition.

14.   PLAYERS PACKET:
##################

Here is the DoW-2019-Player-packet with instructions, schedule, voting sheets and paint judging criteria.

Here is a Fast-food-takeout-Portland-Eastside.

15.   Painting Contest
##################
If you are planning on entering the Best Painted Platoon contest – then:
·    Before the lunch break, fill out a label from your player’s packet.
·    Setup your Army/Model/Platoon on the Display Table during the lunch break
·    Retrieve your Army/Model/Platoon from the Display Table before round 2 begins
·    Retrieve your score sheet from the GM before round 2 begins

16. ROSTER OF CONTESTANTS
##################
Axis Generals (Name, avatar, Nation, types of forces, lists submitted?)
1. EdA, Centurious, GE, Afrika Rifle Kompanie, yes, LIST VERIFIED
2. ZachB, ZACH, 1) Italian Bersaglieri Rifle Company, 2) US Rifle Company, yes, LISTs VERIFIED
3. Bill N., Noland, GE, Afrika Rifle Kompanie, yes, LIST VERIFIED
4. GeorgeB,?, IT, Italian Tank Company, yes, LIST VERIFIED
Allied Generals (Name, avatar, Nation, types of forces, lists submitted?)
A. BenP, Bpoli7, USA, American Rifle Co, Stuarts Co and TDs, yes, LIST VERIFIED
B. Chris Little, USA, Fighting First Armored Rifle Company, yes, LIST VERIFIED
C. SteveZ, ZEKE, Fighting First, US Tank Battalion, yes, LIST VERIFIED
D. JacobA, Souldier3, USA, American Rifle Company, yes, LIST VERIFIED
E.
F.

NelsonG,phyfor88, either, yes, LISTS VERIFIED

Ringer: barca can balance the roster if the number of AXIS and ALLIED players does not match. Bringing either German or British.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fingolfen said:

Bummer - I'm running Iron Cross but not NA at this point... 😞

I figured ENFILADE will cover Iron Cross and Enemy At The Gates, so I wanted to do something that did not repeat the ENFILADE theme.

Also, Our TANKS-giving (in 2018) will be on Iron Cross and Enemy At The Gates

2 hours ago, Souldier3 said:

Desert rats is not obsolete. It's just that armored fist has the same lists and then more. If you only have the desert rats book and not armored fist then I'm pretty sure Barca will let you run a list from it.

Sorry, I used the wrong phrase. I should have said "Armoured Fist Includes Desert Rats units and adds new units and models."

• Armoured Fist Product Preview https://flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5981 "...all of the Desert Rats miniatures are featured in Armoured Fist as well..."
  • Armoured Fist: Churchill Tanks Deployed https://flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5926 "...we decided to add the lists found in Desert Rats to Armoured Fist so players would have a complete set in one place...."
  • There are some differences in the command cards. Your Desert Rats lists should be good, with the exception of a small number of the command cards that actually changed.

I have both sets, so when I can dig them out and compare side-by-side, I will make a post on the differences. I hope to get that comparison done sometime in October. Until then, assume you can use either set of cards and books for the tourney. I am making the change to the post.

Changed the instructions in the books section:

FW245 Armoured Fist or Desert Rats* <edited on 10/2>
      "Armoured Fist Includes Desert Rats units and adds new units and models."  There are some command card changes beween the two. barca will check on this and create a forum thread with the significant differences.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:09 PM, Noland said:

Much obliged for the clarification. If I can make it, I will be running Desert Rats

I reviewed all of the Desert Rats unit cards and confirmed that the stats for those units, their equipment and organization are exactly the same in the "Armoured Fist" book.

Any Force List that you created that is legal in the "Desert Rats" book (and/or Desert Rats unit cards) is still legitimate after the release of the "Armoured Fist" book.

.. Caveat: Still checking on Command Card differences.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 12:50 PM, Souldier3 said:

Back to list building 🙂

Before u go too far down that road, look at the command cards:

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/topic/211087-preview-eastern-front-command-cards/

might give u some new ideas...

I am planning on making some 99-100 pt lists and experimenting with 9 or 10 pts of command cards to get the list to 109

• 1 month later...

How many people are familiar with the updated win conditions from the More Mission's pack. I feel like this should get some discussion so no one has an unfortunate suprise.

Battlefront updated the condition for capturing an objective and winning a game. No longer can you feed 1 team at a time at the beginning of your turn to an objective to keep it contested.

It reads like this:

"A player wins if they start their turn with a Tank, Infantry, or Gun team within 4”/10cm of an Objective on the opponent’s side of the table, and end it with no opposing Tank, Infantry, or Gun teams within 4”/10cm of that Objective."

I bring this up because I feel like we have been playing the old way for most events. Personally I would much rather play with the updated rule than the old cheese.

Thanks James for specifying this!

In these files - "FOWMoreMissionsNB.pdf: and "FOWMoreMissions.pdf" - see the section "WINNING THE GAME" for each mission.
pp. 5, 11: The Attacker wins if they start their turn on or after the sixth turn with a Tank, Infantry, or Gun team within 4”/10cm of an Objective, and end it with no Defending Tank, Infantry, or Gun teams within 4”/10cm of that Objective.
pp. 7, 9, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23:
The Attacker wins if they start their turn with a Tank, Infantry, or Gun team within 4”/10cm of an Objective, and end it with no Defending Tank, Infantry, or Gun teams within 4”/10cm of that Objective