Tau list noodling

Kelharis

Doing some list noodling in case I am able to play in the escalation league. First up:

500 points with a decent number of markerlights, 9 CP and no drones. Viorla Sept for the Strike Fast Tenet, Academy Luminary warlord trait, and Hot-Blooded strategem

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [30 PL, 500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: Vior'la Sept

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Academy Luminary (Vior'la Sept), Markerlight, Seismic destabiliser, Warlord

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 38pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 39pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 84pts]
. Stealth Shas'ui: Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon

+ Heavy Support +

TX78 Sky Ray Gunship [8 PL, 132pts]: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Markerlight, 6x Seeker missile

++ Total: [30 PL, 500pts] ++

52 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

Doing some list noodling in case I am able to play in the escalation league. First up:

500 points with a decent number of markerlights, 9 CP and no drones. Viorla Sept for the Strike Fast Tenet, Academy Luminary warlord trait, and Hot-Blooded strategem

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [30 PL, 500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Academy Luminary (Vior'la Sept), Markerlight, Seismic destabiliser, Warlord

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

+ Heavy Support +

TX78 Sky Ray Gunship [8 PL, 132pts]: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Markerlight, 6x Seeker missile

++ Total: [30 PL, 500pts] ++

I don't know if Dark Trainer was serious, but at one point escalation league was going to apply the rule of 1 for the 500pt game, so no duplicate unit entries for non-troops/dedicated transports and only a single detachment. It's really been messing with my list creation because my TAU use fortifications. You've got duplicate elites (stealth suits) and HQs (Cadre Fireblades) which would not be allowed in the 500pt game.

Skyray is a weird one at 500pts. On the one hand, it might be over powered...but it might also be worthless. Really depends if the opponents bring things worth shooting at. Would probably get more reliable use out of a broadside or crisis suits, but certainly your call.

I don't understand the value of the stealth suits as built. Just doesn't seem like they bring much to the table. Durable-ish unit?

Anyway, those are my list thoughts. Looks fun, though it's making me question my lack of anti-tank for my TAU at 500pts.

23 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I don't know if Dark Trainer was serious, but at one point escalation league was going to apply the rule of 1 for the 500pt game, so no duplicate unit entries for non-troops/dedicated transports and only a single detachment. It's really been messing with my list creation because my TAU use fortifications. You've got duplicate elites (stealth suits) and HQs (Cadre Fireblades) which would not be allowed in the 500pt game.

Skyray is a weird one at 500pts. On the one hand, it might be over powered...but it might also be worthless. Really depends if the opponents bring things worth shooting at. Would probably get more reliable use out of a broadside or crisis suits, but certainly your call.

I don't understand the value of the stealth suits as built. Just doesn't seem like they bring much to the table. Durable-ish unit?

Anyway, those are my list thoughts. Looks fun, though it's making me question my lack of anti-tank for my TAU at 500pts.

I went through all of the relevant threads and don't see any mentions of rule of 1, only your questions about the rule of 3 (2, 1). I chose Skyray as it was the cheapest of the tank options and I have a good amount of ML to support the seeker missiles.  I like the infiltration ability of stealth suits and ghostkeels, being able to deploy in the middle of the table, or even on the edge of the enemy deployment zone mean I can take objectives quickly.

14 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

I went through all of the relevant threads and don't see any mentions of rule of 1, only your questions about the rule of 3 (2, 1). I chose Skyray as it was the cheapest of the tank options and I have a good amount of ML to support the seeker missiles.  I like the infiltration ability of stealth suits and ghostkeels, being able to deploy in the middle of the table, or even on the edge of the enemy deployment zone mean I can take objectives quickly.

So I went back, and I think you are right and I've been misreading one of Dark Trainer's posts. Thanks, makes list creation easier for me.

Regarding the skyray, it's not that you won't have enough markers, it's that there might not be a target worth hitting with 6x seeker missiles at the 500pt level. So if they bring a land raider, the skyray will be over powered for it's cost, but if they bring just light infantry, it's kinda wasteful. That was my point. Might be better off with a unit that does better against all kinds of targets (like a broadside with high yield missile pods).

Stealth suits, hmm, good answer. I'm glad I asked, still working on my own TAU and I tend to forget to look at units I don't own. Forgot they could infiltrate.

2 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

So I went back, and I think you are right and I've been misreading one of Dark Trainer's posts. Thanks, makes list creation easier for me.

Regarding the skyray, it's not that you won't have enough markers, it's that there might not be a target worth hitting with 6x seeker missiles at the 500pt level. So if they bring a land raider, the skyray will be over powered for it's cost, but if they bring just light infantry, it's kinda wasteful. That was my point.

Stealth suits, hmm, good answer. I'm glad I asked, still working on my own TAU and I tend to forget to look at units I don't own. Forgot they could infiltrate.

Well, here's a version that swaps the skyray for a ghostkeel. I was trying to keep the list from being too OP, but I prefer the keel to the skyray.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [32 PL, 500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Burst Cannon: Burst cannon

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 134pts]: 2x Flamer, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone

++ Total: [32 PL, 500pts] ++

Just now, Kelharis said:

Well, here's a version that swaps the skyray for a ghostkeel. I was trying to keep the list from being too OP, but I prefer the keel to the skyray.

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 134pts]: 2x Flamer, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone

I like that one better, though I think the Fusion Collider is the better choice for this list (because you don't have any other good AP weapons in this list).

3 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Thank the living stars for no rule of 1... I only have 2 troops 

Rule of 1 wouldn't apply to troops or dedicated transports anyway. Those are specifically exempt.

1 hour ago, Kelharis said:

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

So was looking at the TAU stratagems. If you put all the stealth suits in one unit, the Vior'la Sept Stratagem (your sept) could affect all of them. Are they better as two units?