E-book codices

Sgt. Rock

Anyone had any experience with them? I still don't have my Space Marine codex, and if I'm going to have to pay full price for it (the shop I work at can't get it in for me in time) then I may as well pay for the convenience, too. I've got a little tablet that would be much easier to cart around on game day than a bag full of books, and between the codex, Battlescribe, and the free basic rulebook, I can probably get by for a good while, I imagine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WestRider said:

Not personally, but one of my regular Opponents swears by them. Says he finds them much more convenient than the paper versions.

They always say that. Half the time they don't remember their rules and the other half the time they have issues with their phone/tablet. Dunno why the paper version would be easier to mentally retain, but there does seem to be something there.

The other potential issue with ebooks is that if the opponent is confused about something and wants to see your codex, that means giving them your tablet/phone. Depends on how sharing you are willing to be with your tablet/phone.

Beyond those, ebooks don't support local businesses when you buy them. And ebooks can't be sold/traded.

I use the enhanced ebooks for iPads and they get the updates from Chapter Approved automatically. So I don’t have to worry about pasting updates into my paper book. But then again I have the paper books for the armies that I play as well so if I’m playing and my tablet dies I have a backup. 

11 hours ago, paxmiles said:

They always say that. Half the time they don't remember their rules and the other half the time they have issues with their phone/tablet. Dunno why the paper version would be easier to mentally retain, but there does seem to be something there.

The other potential issue with ebooks is that if the opponent is confused about something and wants to see your codex, that means giving them your tablet/phone. Depends on how sharing you are willing to be with your tablet/phone.

Beyond those, ebooks don't support local businesses when you buy them. And ebooks can't be sold/traded.

It's not easier to mentally retain, but he does seem to be faster at looking stuff up on it. And since he mostly just plays with the same small book, passing over his tablet for a few minutes isn't a problem for him either. Definitely some subjective factors there, tho.

10 hours ago, Chikin said:

I use the enhanced ebooks for iPads and they get the updates from Chapter Approved automatically. So I don’t have to worry about pasting updates into my paper book. But then again I have the paper books for the armies that I play as well so if I’m playing and my tablet dies I have a backup. 

Getting the CA updates automatically added in seems like it's the real golden reason to go with the ebook versions. Is that only for the iOS version, or do the epub versions get updated as well? Anyone know?