Working my Astra List

Threejacks

Getting down to the final choices on what ill be running on my new AM list and wanted to get some opinions from ya all:)

1850 Escalation/Stronghold:

Warlord- Tank commander in LR Vanquisher w/bowLC,MMSponsons,Firebarrels,Relic plating

Squadron mate-LR Eradicator w/HB Sponsons.Fire Barrels

HQ2- CC Squad w/all camo gear,commander has boltgun ,4 Snipers

Troop #1  Stock infantry platton ---PCS

1st Sqd

2nd Sqd

Troop#2  Veterans    3xmelta ( Go in the Stormlord)

Primaris lvl 1

Primaris lvl 2

Vendetta

Bullgryns X3              ( Theyse guys and one Primaris go in the Stormlord)

Ministorium Priest

Wyvern

Wyvern

Stormlord w/one set sponsons

That's around 1800 or so now and I have the models to do it but can make a few purchases if needed.

Variations im considering are using the Hellhammer instead and dropping the Ogryns for a SM detatchement of a Librarian and some Tac marines w/DP or Box.

Now Im pretty sure its not very competitive as it seems most high end lists I see from any army seem to be spamming at least one categorie of models/units and I just don't have the models to do that.For instance is a Baneblade variant worth 3 LR tanks?....probably not.

I feel that once again im trying to do too much with my lists by trying to make an all comers list that results in getting picked apart easily.Also using a Superheavy is pretty risky as they often end up giving 3 VPs to the opponent.

Improvements are welcome:)

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Super heavy transport problems with stormlord... it wants to move troops up but if it does you shoot the main fun once instead of twice. Secondly super heavy transports nuke their passengers, so don't load up too much.

Why the melta on commander russ? you have 2 long range guns on the hull.

Sm dp can really add pressure to backfield, and since you have models more likely sitting back, running 2 pods can help. 1St turn drop second or third turn refused flank. Cap command squad with combi meltas is not badly prices and something that can be ignored. Drop with shield eternal and place him in front pop armor first turn second assault opportunities, I think that is about 300 then a tact squad with pod is 175, 500 for backfield threats.

Hard to fit an ally and low in a list below 2k.

• Like 1

1. I find that a single Russ of any variety rarely does it's intended job. Triples can overdo the job, matched pairs seems to be the sweet spot.

2. I wanted fire barrels to work too! Unfortunately most things that will kill your tank in assault will laugh at whatever damage they do and kill it anyways.

Just a couple observations and opinions from a bottom tier player. If what you have listed works better for you or is just more fun keep em!

;)

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Keep in mind you don't need to take commander to get split fire, you can use enginseers to do this for you and they are small and easy to hide advancements.  Cost is nearly the same, but potms is more reliable than an order.  Also enginseer can heal hp in a pinch, given that av 14 is still tough to crack in shot, healing hp can do wonders. 

I agree pairs seem to be the way to go.

1. I find that a single Russ of any variety rarely does it's intended job. Triples can overdo the job, matched pairs seems to be the sweet spot.

2. I wanted fire barrels to work too! Unfortunately most things that will kill your tank in assault will laugh at whatever damage they do and kill it anyways.

Just a couple observations and opinions from a bottom tier player. If what you have listed works better for you or is just more fun keep em!

;)

Yeah Im removing the barrels ...I tried them this last Tues when Chappy curbstomped me with his Drop pod BT army and they didn't do anything to the marines when they went off,bleh..

I have a soft spot for the Eradicator since it seems to be one of the only Russ variants that does anything when I run them...and now that they are the cheapest im all over that!.But yeah point taken on the mixed unit thing..im hoping that the split fire order can make up for any issues that may come up.

Heres my latest iteration im working on..this is to the final point at 1850:)

HQ Warlord Tank Commander in Vanquisher w Bow LC/Plasma Sponsons/Relic

Squadron mate  LR Eradicator w/HB Sponsons

HQ2  CC Squad w/full camo/4XSniper vets-----------------not sure on this group as im not really a fan of snipers having seen them do nothing in several tries with them in my Sons DA list but what im thinking here is possibly the Ignore cover order on the unit then hope for a pin check or two.

Troop #1 These guys are backfield sitters

PCS w/AC

1st sqd  Mortar-----had 5 points left and didn't know what else to get,heh

2nd Sqd stock

Troop #2  These guys are loadin up into the Stormlord for a ride to the front!  ..and assuming room temperature shortly after.

PCS  2X flamer/Krak nades

!st sqd  Flamer -----------These two squads will combine for a smallish mob

2nd Sqd Flamer

Primaris Lvl 2

2 Ministorium Priests  ----------One goes with Ogryns the other goes with the 2 squad blob in the Stormlord

Vendetta------------Just because ive almost finished my first one and well..they are still hotness

Bullgryns  x3    Bone`ead has  Power Maul and Brute shield the other two have gauntlets with Slab shields----------if these guys perform I will make room for another group in the future.

Stromlord with one set of sponsons

2x Wyverns ----probably run these separately for better survival.

And yep! the game will be over if they pop the Stormlord before the guys get out of it..but that's what I like about these kinds of lists its all or nothing!

Keep in mind you don't need to take commander to get split fire, you can use enginseers to do this for you and they are small and easy to hide advancements.  Cost is nearly the same, but potms is more reliable than an order.  Also enginseer can heal hp in a pinch, given that av 14 is still tough to crack in shot, healing hp can do wonders. 

I agree pairs seem to be the way to go.

Ahh yeah I see what ya mean about the Enginseers and I actually have one that im not using.But actually the main reason why im taking the Tank commander HQ guy is for the Warlord trait roll as I think the top 3 traits are much better for what im trying to do ..especially the outflank one that I would have a 1 in 3 chance of getting now.

Also Im kinda spoiled on repair rolls having been using multiple Mek boys in my Stompa for the last few months and they repair on a 4+..I look at the Enginseer and just shake my head now.

I just ordered two servators for him though so I will be trying him out at some point.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I see your point those warlord traits are good, it just seems a tank warlord doesn't have the necessary survivability to prevent a giving up a vp.

Then again, these guys only really have one tough warlord and that is yarrick.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Well keep your stormlord alive better by taking enginseer with 2 servitors. 60 pta, for an extra 1-2 hp on stormlord. You can give out potms when you don't need to heal. Pave matches... That is most dependent if you plan to run the tanks up the or near each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Played my finalized list over at the Nexus event today.Small turnout of 7 players so we just played a couple of games each and had fun with it:)

First off my list I settled on:

Warlord HQ Tank Commander in LR Vanquisher w/bow LC and Plasma Sponsons and Relic plates

Squadron mate was another LR Vanquisher w/bow LC and Plasma Sponsons

Troop #1 Inf platoon

PCS w/AC team

1st sqd w/HB team

2nd sqd stock

Troop #2 inf platoon

PCS w2 flamers and Krak

1st sqd w/flamer

2nd sqd w/flamer          Both of these squads blob up and ride in the Stormlord along with the PCS

Primaris Psyker lvl 2      Joins 20 man blob in the Stormlord

2x Ministorium Priests  One joins the 20 man Blob in the Stormlord the other joins the Bullgryns in the Stormlord

Vendetta

Bullgryns  Bone ead has Maul and Bruteshield  other two have GG/SS    these go in the Stormlord

Wyvrern

Wyvern

Armored Sent w/ML

LoW --Stormlord w/one set sponsons

First battle was against another AM list using a formation from IA#1  not sure exactly what it was but he was using 6 LR tanks 4 Chimeras with Vets a Vendetta.

This list was pretty much the "Anti Stormlord" list due to the fact that only the 2 LC`s on the super heavy could do anything to him until the troops came out of the Chimeras and with half of those being reserved it was gonna be a while before that happened.

Since we were playing the scen were each side only had one objective he quickly set out to blow my troops off my sides objective.Yet he kept his troops mounted up to avoid the same fate from my Wyverns and LoW,.Anyhow we were short on time for this one and ended it early and im pretty sure he would have stomped me having already taken 8 hp`s off the Stormlord.

Second battle was against a Tau TripTide list with Missilesides and Farsight reserved with 2 crisis suites.Having never beaten Tau I didn't expect much.However I was pleasantly surprised when I started blowing his crisis suits off the board with the Vulcan mega bolter :biggrin:  this and having all the high AV threats really taxed the Tau AP abilities.Now I should note that his Farsight team didn't come in till turn 4 but really all it did was pop my Warlords tank then I had the Stormlord turn around and return the favor removing the entire unit.Finally the wyverns were a constant pain to him consistently landing 6 hits and probably 4+ wounds overall each time each one fired...these things are friggen sshweet!

Overall It was quite the blood bath and at the end of turn 5 I ended up with my first win against Tau  EVER! with a 9 to 5 victory.He did end up killing the LoW but only had one scoring unit left and I was able to contest the objective they were on with my remaining two bullgryns while I controlled 2 other objectives and got first blood ...The mission was "The Scouring"

And I wouldn't say that he had a particularly nasty Tau list..it was nice for sure but not something I was used to facing when it comes to Tau as he had no Marker lights and only one squad of firewarriors.

Brutal yet great game :cool:

Going forward I do like the way the Stomlord performed.The  20 man blob with priest and psyker worked superb against the Tau as even after dismounting and assaulting a Riptide with his bufffmander,getting smashed and shot at the next turn ,the few troops along with the psyker and priest were still around to cap an objective(forboding ftw!).But I think that I could have a more assault focused blob equipping the sergeants with some melee stuff.Also I think the bullgryns work good in there too but may try just running a massive 30+ infantry blob...but I do like that I had 2 scoring units inside it along with a face smashing assault unit.

Other must takes for me in my future AM lists;

Priests...duhh

Wyverns..but ill probably just stick with the two..I can see were a spam list of maybe 2 groups of 2 of these could be nasty but that str 4 is only gonna do so much.

Primaris..Prescience on the Stormlord every turn...yeah dead stuff happens

I also liked the 2 tank Warlord HQ setup..pretty hard to kill and kitted out right can dish the pain in many ways.

Im thinking next step may be to build for 2k and try to squeeze in some Stormtrooper allies :wink:

Oh and Nexus will probably be running more of these events on Saturday afternoons and I should note that it was a fun and friendly group with a layed back environment:)