Pax's 3e Crew

Tough making choices, I settled for Resurrectionists via Yan Lo.

I acquired Genbu the Tortise for use in D&D and my choices formed around being able to use that model. Ordered Yan Lo crew and a pack of Shieldbearers (because I like shields...).

Yan Lo

-Soul Porter 2ss

-Chiaki 7ss

-Genbu 10ss

-3 Ashigaru 15ss (5ss each)

-3 Shieldbearers 21ss (6+1ss each)

Total: 55ss

Obviously too many soulstones worth of guys. Just making a tally of what I have because there doesn't seem to be an army builder for 3e, yet.

Got the Yan Lo crew today. They should really sell these models assembled...

Terrible, made in china kit. No instructions included. Not even a "go online to get instructions" note on the box. Online instructions do exist via the company, but the box doesn't say so.

Mono-pose options, really spindly bits, extremely tiny parts, not beginner friendly. If I were a noob to model kits, I think I'd quit here.

Wyrd could really benefit from pre-assembled kits, especially since they're going mono-pose anyway.

Anywho, pictures to follow.

22 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Got the Yan Lo crew today. They should really sell these models assembled...

Terrible, made in china kit. No instructions included. Not even a "go online to get instructions" note on the box. Online instructions do exist via the company, but the box doesn't say so.

Mono-pose options, really spindly bits, extremely tiny parts, not beginner friendly. If I were a noob to model kits, I think I'd quit here.

Wyrd could really benefit from pre-assembled kits, especially since they're going mono-pose anyway.

Anywho, pictures to follow.

Every Malifaux kit I ever bought had a card in it with where to download the instructions. Odd that yours did not. I can assure you that's the exception and not the rule.

8 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Every Malifaux kit I ever bought had a card in it with where to download the instructions. Odd that yours did not. I can assure you that's the exception and not the rule.

I got the pack of 2e cards, but no download instructions in there. Doesn't really matter since I already know where the site is.

Right now, I seem to have misplaced Yan Lo's beard, which is oddly a separate piece. It's like a 1/8" x 1x32" bit....

meh, might look better with a new head anyway. Really tempted to make him look more like a Wizard, anyway.

25 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I got the pack of 2e cards, but no download instructions in there. Doesn't really matter since I already know where the site is.

Partly true, thought I do think it's important to point out to any other potential Malifaux player that might be reading this that the kits normally come with instructions (or links to them, rather). I've also heard that Yan-Lo is a kit that is notorious for it's difficulty to build, so something else to keep in mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

I've also heard that Yan-Lo is a kit that is notorious for it's difficulty to build, so something else to keep in mind.

Figures....lol. I must have subconsciously picked one of the hardest.

Pax, 

Most Malifaux models will require a GOOGLE search of their name, in the Images section, you'll find the instructions. Works for me every time. Get some cement, a really sharp blade, and dont drink coffee... these pieces are small and finicky. 🙂 A true challenge for us hobbyists. 

When it comes to crews that +1 ss tax is going to add up. Plus certain synergies with the shieldbearers arent necessarily needed in a very tough Yan Lo crew. My main advice for new players is to find a keyword and fill it out the best they can. The inbuilt synergies in the keywords should not be ignored. I only see hiring +1ss out of keyword models as a direct response to a master or faction declared before the crews are built. 

Malifaux is tricky in that you dont build standard, all comers, crews. You are able to cherry pick before the game starts based on your opponents declared faction, master, and what the schemes/strategies/deployment are. These variables can change a masters crew drastically from game to game. Not to say that you shouldnt consider the OOK(out of keyword) models but during the initial "learning" of the game, I highly recommend you play a crew as intended by the design. 

Yan Lo is a crew of undying ancestors. They play by being tanky, killy, and they come back to life under certain circumstances. His crews tend to be more on the elite side and rely on draining your opponent of their actions by pressing them. Yan lo is actually very squishy to start the game and ramps up over time. you'll be looking to win with a "long game approach". With that, you'll be vulnerable to crews that can alpha strike you, so you'll need to deploy and maneuver in a way where you can support eachother. 

Definitely a very cool and very competitive master. Look into grabbing retainers and ancestors from both 10T and Ressers. As he is a dual master, he has a lot of options which gives him longevity in his play. He can hire out of faction as long as the models share a keyword.

As for crew size, you get 50ss and do NOT pay for your master (leader) or your Totem. So in the case of your list above, the soul porter would also be 0ss. Also, the remaining SS left over from the 50 go into a Cache which can be used in game for bonuses. I would not leave home without at least 3ss... you can keep up to 10ss in reserve. 

The shieldbearers are cool models, but really dont have much play with Yan Lo, unfortunately... I highly recommend looking into Komainu, Yin the panangalan, and the effigy next. 

Welcome to Malifaux!  

32 minutes ago, Fixxer said:

Welcome to Malifaux!  

I played in 2e, too. Ran "Team Leveticus." Kinda got overwhelmed with my crew options and burnt out, plus had difficulty getting rules for all of my crew (leveticus in 2e can hire any construct or undead, plus any outcast and if Nix is on his team, also any hound, so his "team" selection is massive). Still, got a bunch of games in. Was semi-regular with the GG friday group for a while.

Ran Leveticus, Nix, an Ice Golem, and a decent number of Size 1 models (2e Ice golem can "throw" size 1 models, which I really enjoyed).

Deliberately choose a less complex leader this time around. Plus they got rid of "Team Leveticus" which was probably a smart move. And the Ice Golem can no longer throw things.

Thanks for the info on the totems being free. Totally missed that. I am aware that the cost of the shield bearers is rather excessive. I really like the models, though, or rather, I really like 2/3 of the poses of sheildbearers - the one standing on one foot looks really goofy.

As for future purchases/list tweaks. I plan to run with some variant of this until I get the hang of them, then try some tweaks. Might swap for one of the other Ancestor/Retainer Henchmen as the crew leader, but maybe I'll have fallen in love with Yan Lo by that point. At present, I'm not thrilled with Chiaki either, but I might love her after a few games, so who knows.

Anyway, list-wise, it's 7x models with Armor+Take the Hit, so Yan Lo should have some time to power up. I'm a little more concerned about not having the speed to claim objectives and Yan Lo being my only model with a ranged attack. But should be really simple on my end, to get the hang of it, even it that means losing every time.

Okay, I've checked enough times. I'm certain I don't have Yan Lo's beard. I do, however, have a smaller bit that doesn't appear on the assembly instructions. I think my master's beard might have been deformed in production.

I'm not sure I really want the beard. I think I'm just going to get him another head/beard.

Other models are coming along nicely. Haven't glued anything to bases yet, though. I think I'm going to putty up some cobblestone for the bases before I glue them on.

Also thinking I want to theme my paint and modeling on the idea that this is a D&D party of adventurers. Yan Lo the human Wizard/necromancer, Genbu the Tortle Fighter/Paladin/Barbarian, Chiaki the Bard, and so forth.

Shieldbearers arrived today. Assembled 2/3 without issue or instruction. Decided not to assemble the 3rd one. Don't really like the pose and I'm already overbudget on soulstones. I'll try selling/trading that model. Besides, 3rd one is the one with a blank shield, so it's more usable in other games anyway. 

Anyway, Really like these shieldbearers. Great looking D&D adventurers with proper tower shields. 

• 2 weeks later...

Took forever to find the putty, wasn't even in the room I thought it was in...

IMG_20190721_220534845.thumb.jpg.c1e83f7cc915f2022496eecdaa565c6e.jpg

Yan Lo, I ended up stealing some admech bits to replace his lacking head. Needs a little more work.

IMG_20190721_220545977.thumb.jpg.55bc8ad5ebfd8607ea5dc2d83a3e7e36.jpg

I need to work on this project more.

I suppose, I'm kinda waiting on a printed copy of the rulebook, as I lack a printer and like the physical end of things. GG has yet to stock any 3e rulebooks, and they say it hasn't been made available to them yet. Or that was true a week ago.

Anyway, found the third skeleton spearman (he's not pictured above because I couldn't find him). Gotta get Chiaki on a base too. Need to put my turtle warrior on his base.

Then painting. Should be very easy, but I've been rather unambitious lately.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:24 AM, paxmiles said:

Yan Lo

-Soul Porter (totem)

-Chiaki 7ss

-Genbu 10ss

-3 Ashigaru 15ss (5ss each)

-2 Shieldbearers 14ss (6+1ss each)

Total: 46ss

Updated list of models owned.