Good News Everyone - or at least for WW3: Team Yankee Gamers

barca

The second edition rule book for WWIII: TY has a new Force diagram example from the latest British TY book.

On page 77 of the rule book, this addition will look familiar to FoW gamers:
"FORMATION SUPPORT:
You may field compulsory
Combat units (with a
black box) from the
above formations
as Support Units."

This force list option has existed for FoW gamers for some time, but this is the first time that option is available for WWIII:TY.

You should expect that this page "Team Yankee Force Diagrams (2017)" will be updated or replaced with new force diagrams to include this change.

• Like 1

This would definitely help the West Germans since they never could add just a Plt of LEO2 or LEO1 without adding another formation. With the new rule I would be able to add a plt of LEO2 to a LEO1 formation or vice versa.

With the old system I usually ran a LEO1 formation AND a MARDER formation just to get 1 platoon of LEO2s to go with the LEO1 formation. This added an additional 8 pts of mandatory infantry. Having the infantry isn't bad, but when working lower point lists it was really awkward to work around.

19 hours ago, ZEKE said:

This would definitely help the West Germans since they never could add just a Plt of LEO2 or LEO1 without adding another formation. With the new rule I would be able to add a plt of LEO2 to a LEO1 formation or vice versa.

I had the same thought in US Armoured Combat team: M1 Abrams vs. M60 Pattons. Now I can try diff mixes of those two tanks

The Israelis — whom I still haven’t bought but keep daydreaming about — have the Merkava 1, Merkava 2, and Magach 6 (which is basically an M60 Patton with slightly different machine guns).  Not really seeing any great reason to want to mix tank types in an armoured company with them. 

The Magach 6 cost a lot less than the Merkava (about half) but doesn’t fire as effectively on the move. Seems to push it towards more of a “defensive” role, but that’s not really a good match with the rest of the IDF’s options.

(All of this is pure theoryhammer, since I’ve never played.)

Deploy the lesser tanks just ahead of your most destructive battle tanks and force your opponent the option.  1. shoot the easier to kill magach 6 that is about get on the side armor, or 2. shoot the merkava  that are beating the crap out of us.

That's how try to play the LEO1 and LEO2 with each other.   Sort of like my FOW US tank company with stuarts and shermans.