Home Theater

Brick Bungalow

Since the normal theater isn't a good option right now. I added a small home theater setup to my art studio. Pretty close to entry level on each component including projector, screen, soundbar and an hdmi hub so I switch inputs easily. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. 

I'm curious to pick the brains of anyone who has set this sort of thing up. How have you optimized picture and sound? Whats the best way to arrange seating? What else do I need to know?

11 hours ago, Brick Bungalow said:

Since the normal theater isn't a good option right now. I added a small home theater setup to my art studio. Pretty close to entry level on each component including projector, screen, soundbar and an hdmi hub so I switch inputs easily. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. 

I'm curious to pick the brains of anyone who has set this sort of thing up. How have you optimized picture and sound? Whats the best way to arrange seating? What else do I need to know?

I helped a friend with a home theater (years ago). Sound wise, he just had your typical 4 speaker surround sound (with sub woofer) as the room was standard sized. Then he had 2 longer couches. The first was on the normal floor, the 2nd was elevated on a platform he had built to raise the room. Basically he did stadium seating to allow seeing over people. It seated 6-8 easily, and with extra chairs on the side, could do up to 12. 

As an alternative to stadium seating, you can raise the eye elevation of the screen too. Our home TV sits atop the fireplace about 4ft up. If we move our 2 couches one in front of the other, the front couch doesn't offend. However, looking more upward is less ideal than looking forward. There is math you can figure out about proper eye to TV elevation. I don't recall what it is, but google can help.

11 hours ago, Brick Bungalow said:

I helped a friend with a home theater (years ago). Sound wise, he just had your typical 4 speaker surround sound (with sub woofer) as the room was standard sized. Then he had 2 longer couches. The first was on the normal floor, the 2nd was elevated on a platform he had built to raise the room. Basically he did stadium seating to allow seeing over people. It seated 6 easily, 8 if you had to, and with extra chairs on the side, could do up to 12. 

As an alternative to stadium seating, you can raise the eye elevation of the screen too. Our home TV sits atop the fireplace about 4ft up. If we move our 2 couches one in front of the other, the front couch doesn't offend. However, looking more upward is less ideal than looking forward. There is math you can figure out about proper eye to TV elevation. I don't recall what it is, but google can help.

I also went to a party for my niece and the person hosting had a theater system in his shop (big enough for an RV or 2). Big 20ft screen and all. That was pretty awesome too! Playing Xbox on a 20ft screen was crazy.

• Like 1