Paintbrush soap

PumpkinHead

I use The Masters brush cleaner for regular cleaning. For brushes that have been victimized by washes and metallics, I'll first give them some time with W&N Brush Cleaner and Restorer then some TLC with The Masters soap.

I rinse a brush out in water, then circle it around the Masters soap a few times. I swirl it a bit on the back of my hand, then rinse it out with water. I then give it a quick swab across the Masters again and give it a twirl to restore the point. The Masters works as a leave-in conditioner as well as a soap... so helps preserve the tip. Just give the bristles a quick rinse in clean water before using the brush again. Also, I'll give the Masters a wipe with a paper towel to keep it clean.

The W&N stuff is serious business. It'll de-gunk dried in place paint, even out of the ferrule. It's kind'a magic. It'll also strip the paint off the handle of the brush. And it doesn't damage natural hair bristles. Like I said, magic. 

• Like 3

I got talked into getting what I guess are pretty good brushes, I don't know. I normally buy cheap brushes and use them until they are dead and then buy new ones. I was told I should probably get some soap for these kickstarter brushes and treat them nicely.  So I appreciate everyone's help.

I kickstartered: 

• Like 1

Brushes are a very personal thing. Use what feels right and works for you, there's no universal answer.

Some people find high-end sable brushes to be a waste of money. I love them; I have a W&N Series 7 #1 round that I've been using almost daily for going on two years... seems like a pretty good investment to me, a lot cheaper than synthetics (which for me last maybe a month before the tip hooks) in the long run.

I use W&N Series 7 for layering and edge highlighting, but for glazing I use the Raphael 8404. I have a Da Vinci that's great for fine details. For metallics and washes, I use whatever synthetic brushes I have laying around cuz those paints are murder on natural hair brushes.

• Like 3