7 Honor Guard:  210

7 Power Mauls, Chapter Banner

5 Scouts:  55

Bolters

5 Scouts:  55

Bolters

Land Raider:  250

2000 pts

I was coming up with my own chapter and I like the feel of this list.  I could easily model it so what's what is obvious, but I like how it is good in melee or shooting and has answers to just about everything (flyers I deal with with board control and t/l assault cannons and lascannons, it's not a perfect answer, but what is?).  

Personally, I like how the honor guard seem like an obvious level up from grey hunters, so their role as the veterans of the chapter make sense.  I also like that he can join up in the Land Raider with the honor guard and chapter master and gives them counter attack!  

Admittedly, I'm trying to cherry pick good units here, so the fluff rationale is flimsy, but I don't care.  

Wolf Guard Battle Leader:  115
  Power Maul, Runic Armor, Saga of the Hunter

A Wolf Priest would be slightly more expensive (10pts?), do the same thing, and also grant Preferred Enemy and Fearless.

You really should be mixing in some Axes/Swords on those Honor Guard. A melee unit that has no way to penetrate armor is usually not gonna work out terribly well. And the Land Raider carrying them should be anything other than a Godhammer-pattern because that thing is pretty bad compared to the others.

AssBacks aren't really worth their points, even in 7E; one volley from a Serpent or any other AT and you have a 75pt smoking wreck. Stick with Rhinos and/or Drop Pods.

Some Stormtalons would help your AA problem a lot, as would a Stalker; you could even go with the formation (2 'Talon 1 'Raven) in place of the Land Raider pretty easily.

AssBacks aren't really worth their points, even in 7E; one volley from a Serpent or any other AT and you have a 75pt smoking wreck. Stick with Rhinos and/or Drop Pods.

I've been noodling SW lists a lot and thinking about a return to RB spam. I'll probably try it anyways, but the point behind RB spam wasn't that they were tough, but that you put way more fire down than anyone else in a lot of separate targets.

I've been noodling SW lists a lot and thinking about a return to RB spam. I'll probably try it anyways, but the point behind RB spam wasn't that they were tough, but that you put way more fire down than anyone else in a lot of separate targets.

Mmm, I don't really agree. Vehicles in 5E were tough, that was why everyone used them. Of course, yes, the firepower was a big factor as well- but firepower only matters if you can keep it alive, and in 5E you could expect your Razorbacks to last a lot longer because they didn't have to worry about going "poof" the third time someone got a glance/pen. These days, the lifespan of an AV10 or AV11 vehicle is pretty short, so I feel like sinking 75pts or more into one is a poor choice.

I don't think transports are bad- quite the opposite, in fact; Rhinos and GK Psybacks are both excellent tanks, as are a lot of others. But there's a limit to how much I'm willing to pay for a gun on a relatively-fragile platform, and I think the Assault Cannon/Lascannon/LasPlas all go past it.

A Wolf Priest would be slightly more expensive (10pts?), do the same thing, and also grant Preferred Enemy and Fearless.

20 pts more if I wanted runic armor.

You really should be mixing in some Axes/Swords on those Honor Guard. A melee unit that has no way to penetrate armor is usually not gonna work out terribly well. 

I do have the chapter master for dealing with 2+ saves, as well as the ridiculous amounts of S6 attacks.  The only place that swords would be better is 3+ armor, which, while fairly common, isn't the end-all-be-all.  

And the Land Raider carrying them should be anything other than a Godhammer-pattern because that thing is pretty bad compared to the others.

Disagree, the Crusader is a maybe in my mind with the tl assault cannon, but with how vehicle shooting works, I like being able to move and fire two lascannons at full BS.  Also, TL anything is nice for dealing with airplanes.  Frankly, if I can fit 10 models in, the Godhammer is the one I want.

I disagree again.  Only 40 pts more to get a weapon that threatens aircraft is nice IMO.  I can hide them behind the land raider if I need to.  

Some Stormtalons would help your AA problem a lot, as would a Stalker; you could even go with the formation (2 'Talon 1 'Raven) in place of the Land Raider pretty easily.

Why would i get rid of the ride for my uber assault unit?  Stormtalons might be better at AA, but they also cost more.  Basically it would be a straight swap of a 5 razorback squad for one stormtalon.  So I lose two objective secured units, a melta gun, and a TL assault cannon for a 2HP plane?  I mean...kinda...

Counter-Attack still doesn't pass along to the rest of the Unit. It's worded the same way it was in 6th, so only the Models who have the Rule actually get the bonus Attacks.

Outflank and Stealth from the Saga do transfer, tho.

Agh, I thought it changed that.  Oh well, seems like it would still be useful to add a wolf priest in.  Gotta figure out how to get 10 pts (since I don't NEED the Saga of the Hunter).  

Mmm, I don't really agree. Vehicles in 5E were tough, that was why everyone used them. Of course, yes, the firepower was a big factor as well- but firepower only matters if you can keep it alive, and in 5E you could expect your Razorbacks to last a lot longer because they didn't have to worry about going "poof" the third time someone got a glance/pen. These days, the lifespan of an AV10 or AV11 vehicle is pretty short, so I feel like sinking 75pts or more into one is a poor choice.

I don't think transports are bad- quite the opposite, in fact; Rhinos and GK Psybacks are both excellent tanks, as are a lot of others. But there's a limit to how much I'm willing to pay for a gun on a relatively-fragile platform, and I think the Assault Cannon/Lascannon/LasPlas all go past it.

Fair enough. I can see that.