OFCC 2023 weekend event - Battlefest - 40K

We are excited to announce the release of the OFCC 40K Battlefest rules packet.

This will be a 2v2 Team doubles events. I know this format change will rasie lots of questions, so we will build a FAQ based on the quesitons you have.

Please either send the questions directly to me, or post below the word "QUESTION" at the beginnning.

You can find the rules at bit.ly/OFCC40K

15 hours ago, necrontyr said:

What's the reason for the change? I have a team that's pretty disappointed in this, especially after OFCC being gone for a few years.

There are two fundamental questions regarding the changes for 40K this year:

Why did we think a change was needed for the 40K event?

• The 40K Team event saw a decline in participation over three years prior to the pandemic
  • Historically, the Team format is difficult to adapt to for new players and captains
  • In the 3 years since the last OFCC, we have seen a large number of new players to the game

Why did we choose a 2v2 Doubles format?

• We wanted to keep the causal nature of the 40K event for OFCC
  • Smaller points total per player is more approachable for a larger group of particpants
    • This format brings the per-person ticket cost down
    • Prepping a smaller army provides more flexibility with time management, budget, and choice
  • The doubles format provided a good mechanism for several scenarios
    • Veteran player aiding a novice through one of their first events
    • Partering with old friends and maximizing time spent with each other over the weekend
    • Solo player needing to find only a partner rather than three
  • Like 4

Bryan, I am not sure this was addressed elsewhere, will this event be sticking with the current edition of 40k? or will it be the new edition if GW releases it before OFCC date?  

My dog in this fight - I have the current rulebook - and did play some of this edition a year or so ago. I do not plan on learning a new edition or purchasing a new ruleset from GW in the future. Also, I want to participate in another OFCC - and I do have 40k stuff 🙂 - just looking for a reason to play 40k again at OFCC.

-d

• Like 1

After re-reading the google doc for this event - I am still not seeing a definitive 40k edition to be used?  If this is to be the last 9th edition event - or will it be one of the first 10th if GW decides to release it in the weeks or month before OFCC.

Will doubles event be in whatever the current release is - or will it be firmly set as a 9th ed event?

-d

• 2 weeks later...