Help me Ordo Fanaticus, you're my only hope....

Let us open our minds to a world where someone might be considering getting the 10th edition starter box. Then, let us conceive of the idea that this person would then want to get more Tyranids to round out what is within that set. We could also imagine that this person could have a carnifex and mawlock already from a previous ownership of said Tyranids. I think this person could really use some advice from Ordo on what might be good things to consider if they indeed decided to go this perilous route.

To start the creative juices flowing, let us ponder some obvious choices:

1) the combat patrol box - A solid choice as it includes a hive tyrant, three warriors, and 36 termagants... all for the not too horrid price of $136. Two synapse units, and a decent amount of bugs to swarm objectives.

2) the boarding patrol box - another okay choice, 6 warriors, 8 genestealers, and a brood lord, and around $125 still. It could be said that this imaginary person might also already have genestealers and a broodlord for their GSC army....so a bit of duplication here, but also no duplicates from the starter set.

3) tyranid battleforces - there seem to be two, and the contents are not bad in either one, but seem to be very difficult to find and more expensive even if found

My opinion, is that a hive tyrant is a must, either the ground or winged variety. More base infantry also seems like a good idea. And once you go that route, you need more synapse creatures too. I also don't think the intent here is to go for a tournament winning list, but something that is playable and well rounded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say first thing is be good at magnetizing. It is hard to say what to get at this time. It seems Tyranids are changing a bit with spreading synapse so looking to have plenty of synapse to help keep your bugs in line. With the stratagem shown it would seem they are going towards a swarm type style so Hgants, Tgants, and gargs will probably be a necessity.  I would venture a guess that a tyranofex would be in order to help crack tanks. 

Not much of a help I know, but waiting to see data sheets would help to know how they will operate in 10th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing the rules now, getting your big bugs shot at even while in melee is going to require some plan to free them up or make sure they can free themselves.  The Neurotyrant's ability to put a unit in synapse until your next turn I think is going to be invaluable for units you want to (as the kids say) YEET across the board. Though it will be interesting to see how they limit tyrants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1