Tau Help Regarding Crisis Suit Loadouts...

Chapel

I'm new to Tau and wanted to ask a couple questions about crisis suit loadouts after someone mentioned a few ideas to me for helping out my list. 

Tau Crisis suits have access to 3 weapons systems, you don't have to buy 3 but you can get up to three. I was under the impression that if you buy two missile pods for example, that they automatically get twin linked instead of being two separate missile pods. Obviously if you have two weapons (not twin linked)then you get double the shots which may or may not be preferable.

Can you choose to buy two separate systems and just pay the single weapons points twice instead of twin linking them? 

Any advice is appreciated.

Hello there,

I have never professed to be a supreme Tau commander, nor do I play one on TV, so please take this with a grain of salt.  I tend to play for storyline / narrative and model based upon what my son, my wife and I think looks cool or would be fun to use.  So with those caveats...

1.  XV8 Crisis battlesuit loadouts

I think the airburst fragmentation projector is just so/so... nothing really making it a "oooh get this" choice

I think the burst cannon is only viable if I pay the extra points, make them 2 single weapons choices and just load out the entire squad with them.  3 suits with a total of 24 shots (which should be markerlighted and possibly even supported by gun drones) means that you're rolling a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of dice and taking care of light infantry. 

I think flamers aren't really my cup of tea, as I don't like being that close to folks.  But I know some folks like them.

I think the fusion blaster (melta basically) has some extra range and that helps for the ol' reliable deep strike / pop the vehicle / wait I'm still over 12" away from the folks bailing from the slagged vehicle and won't be assaulted yay

I think the missle pods are nice, but are better used on other suits (i.e. Broadsides).  Low shot output though and I use my XV8's for more output usually

I think that the plasma rifles (which I find to be the most popular loadout that I see) are good, even though not a big shot output.  Load out a second one to help.

I like using shield drones for basically ablative armor... lots of AP4 stuff out there

2.  RANGED WEAPON COSTS

In Codex: Tau Empire on page 95 it reads to me as if you could pay the higher points costs for "a standard, single version" instead of HAVING to pay the lower points costs for "two weapons (counting as a twin-linked weapon of that type)."  But again, that's how I read it... and to me that "counting as a twin-linked weapon of that type" statement cements it.  If you don't want the weapons being twin-linked, pay the single weapon points cost twice.  Note:  I believe that GW even FAQ'd this and made it their "official" view.

Hope it helps and again, I'm sure there are brighter stars out there with regards to Tau.

Stay safe,

don

Don is correct. You can pay the base cost of the weapon twice to double it's shots. I typically run suits with 2 Burst Cannons to take advantage of the ability to crank out 24 shots from a squad of 3. Flamers are pretty rad as you can take a twin-linked set (re-roll to wound) and an additional one. They are the only weapon that is good twin-linked. Even then, that is debatable. Suicide deep strike and burn some baddies into oblivion.

Other loadouts is your call. One favorite of mine is 2 Fusion Blasters and a Flamer. Deep strike in, break a big thing, jump away, use flamers for defense from charges. Works well, but expensive.

-Chappy

Suits will almost always want to take two weapons so that they can use their Multitracker, though it's good to remember that in 7E you can only fire the extra weapon during the shooting phase- during Overwatch or Interceptor shots, you only get one gun. But yes, you can take two of the same gun and fire them both separately- you can even take one twin-linked and one normal (= three guns) if you want to, though generally it's not worth the cost.

Pretty much all of the weapon systems have their uses, but not all of them are equally useful; that is to say, some of them, while good at what they do, are just too narrow to take for general purpose lists, so you probably won't see them as much. I would strongly recommend magnetizing your Crisis suits so that you can swap out different weapons, since it lets you change up what you use them for any time you feel like.

Missile Pods are usually the go-to choice because they are high strength, multiple shots, and long range. Don't underestimate that last one- longer range means you can be further away from the enemy and thus it will be harder for them to shoot at/charge you. Many of the other systems require you to get rather close, which can be very hazardous to your health. A longer range also means you will get more shots off- if your suits don't get into range until turn 2 or 3 or later, they are losing out on chances to fire at the enemy, whereas Missile Pods will get to be plonking away that whole time.

Plasma is another strong option, since it has pretty decent range and strength, very good AP, and the possibility for multiple shots. Tau have lots of access to mid-strength guns elsewhere (S5 guns on Fire Warriors, all their tanks, etc, etc) but guns that penetrate armor effectively are a bit less common. Especially with their ability to ignore cover saves, Plasma can be extremely effective at chewing apart enemy troops.

Burst Cannons have the highest numerical stats against most types of infantry targets, but their short range can be somewhat limiting. Combined with Commander Shadowsun to help manipulate ranges they can be devastating, but they require a dedicated squad to use them effectively and thus don't pair well with the other guns.

Fusion Blasters are almost always seen in doubles or triples on a suit in order to ensure the destruction of whatever tank is targeted. Such a suit will almost always Deep Strike in and (unlike other Crisis) is often fielded solo to minimize loss when it dies and chance of a mishap. Starting them on the ground is a possibility, but the relative fragility of Crisis means that few opponents will allow your suit to close with their tanks in order to do their job,

Flamers can generate some amazing numbers, but even more so than any other gun they are limited by their range. Tau do not want to be 6" away from their enemy if there is any other choice, and Flamers force you to close to that distance to make effective use of them. The only times I would recommend a Flamer loadout are when paired up with Commander Farsight (who lets you Deep Strike with perfect accuracy) or when using the Promethium Pipelines fortification (which makes them into Torrent weapons.)

That's a LOT of great information. Knowing that I can pay the cost of the weapon twice and get two of the same weapon system that isn't twin linked is good to know. For some reason I was under the impression that whenever you bought two of the same weapon it was automatically twin linked. Hold off from 4th or 5th edition probably. Love the Tau help guys, much appreciation.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Burst cannon and and advanced targeting system cheap effective and good at taking special weapons out.

Plasma with ats also great at hunting and sniping.

Missile pod doesn't need support system

Fusion now with 7th I don't plan to run with target lock, pair should get job done.