why can't I stop buying 40K?

Brother Glacius

I would really like to know. I finally hosted a 10th ed match and only actually subbed in a little during the game, mostly letting other people play. I have so many models already...and yet I keep expanding my collection. I blame mindtaker quite a bit. I can't recall the last time I paid retail for a GW product, or bought from an actual GW store. And it isn't like Mindtaker is cheap either? Much less expensive than retail obviously, but GW's pricing even makes their stuff significant. Heck, I just dropped $105 today on 11 models? Really? 11 models? But I didn't have them...and I wanted them....or at least once I saw them on their web site I wanted them.....maybe that is it. Maybe they have subluminal messages in their web site, controlling my mind to buy stuff. 🙂

Ugh. Either that or I'm just trying to earn my own box at their store. I'm grateful to them for allowing me to fill holes in my collection, but I also have to curse them a bit for allowing me to fill holes in my collection. 

I think it comes down to perception right. I look at GW's prices and can immediately scoff at them and walk away. But then I see Mindtaker's price...and compared to GW its great. And then I hit the buy button.

Hmmmmm maybe I shouldn't compare the prices...I think that might actually slow me down. Then I just have to consider purely based on current offering instead of the allure of the "deal".

Am I alone in this? Is there some cure to this malady?

Help me Ordo-wan Kanobi....you're my only hope.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Has anyone looked at GW's new webstore? I haven't done much with it, was sort of shocked to see it...but that was nothing compared to the shock of their latest pricing. I mean on the one hand, it really shouldn't shock me....GW has been a jerk with pricing for over a decade now. I suppose it would be shocking if they weren't massively overpricing their models. But yesterday I was full on flabbergasted when I saw that a new AoS model...a dude on a horse...not a special character mind you...just some new marshal general, single pose with a head swap, dude on a horse...was $60. He should maybe be like $20....tops....but no...he's $60. I don't even play AoS. And while I think their new models for their "empire" line are good, there is no way I'd pay $60 for a single pose cav model. But clearly there are, people I mean. Who are these people? Don't they know if they didn't buy the model, then GW might actually change its pricing policy? 

I remember buying the 8th ed WFB Empire General model....I think you could make two out of it, a mounted and an on foot. And you had lots of options on how to build them, either a general, hero, or BSB. It was a fantastic kit....I didn't need it, I had plenty of empire models to fill those roles...but it was good, had options, and not priced like it had "Trump" stamped across it.

I know, I know....old news. Same old, same old.... Its this cycle of loving the products of GW, getting swayed back to having an interest in them...and then getting smacked by their business practices to bring me back to reality. I guess I suppose I should be grateful for the smacks as it turns my attention to companies that provide good games, good minis, without trying to rip me off. I definitely see more Bolt Action and Flames of War in my future.

• Like 2

(this post is not meant to read snarkily or anything other than professional)

Completely agree with regards to pricing.  I'm amazed that they sell so much.  But they do.  Why?  My theory is that GW got their hooks in when we were in our late teens/early 20s way back when and know that we'll come back.

Personal example (which explains my theory):

I would assume that lots of us recall "back in the day" pricing.  GW was probably getting their foot in the market; heck I remember coupons in White Dwarf!  I was in college at the time (so for sake of this post just say 20).

They've now not only got their foot in the market, they basically booted the damn door off its hinges.  They're the heavyweight champ and with that comes a certain standard of living that they are now accustomed to.  And I'm now almost 52.

My theory is that during those three decades GW knew that they would have me repeat as a customer over the years as life dictated:

* I bought some in college, but had to mind my dollars

* I got a "real job" and had some disposable income.  Let's dip a foot in the GW pool...

* Got married, bye bye disposable income.  Had kids.  GW got put on the backburner

* Kids got older and saw old 40k stuff.  Kids wanted to get into it.  Hello, GW...

* Kids got older older and things like cars, college, etc.  Bye bye GW

* Kids are out of the house.  I have some disposable income.  Hello GW...

* Long-term stuff and expenditures hit.  Property, housing upgrades, replacement vehicles, etc.   Bye bye GW...

* Now I'm at the end of the job, almost to retirement.  Life's expenditures and long-term stuff are pretty stable.  And thus, I'll probably say hello to GW again.  Well, first the pile of shame since I still haven't addressed kits that we got when the kids were young.

I love the 40k universe, love the lore, have a metric sh*tton of the books, etc. etc.  Fan for sure.  And they know this.

The point of my post?  I cut my teeth on GW stuff.  Wasn't aware of other things at the time.  Now, with 3d printing and all sorts of third party sellers there are plenty of options.  I can vote with my wallet, for sure.  Just as I have been able to this entire time.  But kind of hard when that entire timeline there are new game editions, etc. and pretty much forced upgrades.  Don't even get me started on Primaris... I have piles of firstborn so wondering what the heck I'll use them for.  /shrug

I gotta find some friends to play games with first!   ha ha

But I feel your pain and understand your post for sure.  Look at the new Fulgrim model.  That's a heavy price, but folks aren't batting an eye.

I'm still trying to figure out Mr. Shoemaker's website/pricing/how I do this, but until I retire everything is put off as I triage life.   I think that 3d printing is definitely appealing.

Stay safe,

don

• Thanks 1