Great Weapons and charging

So if I am reading this right, it seems that great weapons are going to be the new hotness. In most cases, a charging unit will have +3 to init. Strikes Last means your init becomes 1 before any other modifiers. So a great weapon charging unit will typically have an init of 4. That is going to equal or pass most base unit init values. Spearmen getting +1 init when taking a charge just got better as it might mean you at least get to strike simultaneously, or even before such a unit. With the armor saves now being less across the board, having -2 AP with armor bane (1) is going to be very effective.

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see.  I am looking into ways to disorder charges and otherwise screw with initiative as I see that being the big counter to this tactic.

It's also worth noting that the places this really matters are against Bretonnians, Warriors of Chaos and possibly some High Elf lists.  The Warriors and the Elves are all I4 to begin with and the mounted Bretonnians all have countercharge.  That means at best you will be simultaneous and that is not guaranteed if they're paying any attention when picking lores.  Even Dwarves have multiple unit-based options for ruining this plan and they're only kinda second tier armored up.