Command Range and Leadership Tests

Wow, it took me a long time to find command range in the rules. The freaking index doesn't have it listed and it wasn't mentioned in the rules where you would think (panic tests, the like). Finally found it under Characters in Advanced Rules. So that is settled finally (command range is equal to ld stat of character in inches. So Ld 7, command range is 7". If Ld is increased for any reason, command range is increased.

Now, here's the mighty big question, does a Warband within command range of a character, use their Ld before adding rank bonus, or is it the character Ld, or their unit Ld + rank? Unit of Night Goblins is Ld 4 (ouch), but with warband, can get it up to the mighty 7? 2 rank max increased to 3 due to Horde. Now, lets say I have a NG warlord on giant squig nearby. His leadership is 6. If he is within 6" or 12" if general, does that unit have a 9 Ld for tests (his 6 + 3 for ranks) or do they use 7 since it is higher than his due to rank bonus?

I would say they would end up using their 7 as while the NG on giant squig as a 6 Ld, they aren't in the unit and thus don't get the rank bonus to their leadership...even though they have warband.

• Like 1

I believe that you are correct.  Warband modifies the Ld of the models in the unit not the leader over there.  On the other hand you can get leaders that have warband (including your No Good...  Err....  Night Goblin Warboss.  Put him in the unit of Night Goblins and he benefits from their Horde and Warband and becomes Ld 9.  Further his Inspiring presence is now also 9 for everyone else.  Unfortunately, you cannot make him a Large Target to boost him to 18" command radius.

Beastmen also benefit from this trick.