Night goblin tax and stuff

Well, I’m playing it that they can because that’s how the rules stack up without explicitly saying it. 

Chargers are declared first, that’s absolutely correct, but you still have to react to charges, roll to determine distance, then move charging units.

This is the immediately and free moment to perform the redress ranks maneuver. This is because you can declare charges in a marching column but not move the unit until it’s in a proper formation to do so. 

Nothing in the rules states certain maneuvers can only be taken in the remaining moves subphase. The charge move section starts with a caveat of “unless otherwise stated, a unit cannot take any maneuver besides a wheel. “ 

I know Warhammer Ancient Battles is a different game but that’s how the rule works in that game and I cannot fathom it being different because it doesn’t specify during a charge move. 

Everything else written around the interaction points to Drilled working the same way as WHAB. And it’s only on the most elite troops and most of the time you’re paying 1pt for model. 

Redress is not normally a free movement. It has a cost. Half your move. So the "free" from drilled easily refers to that cost. "immediate" just means you have to do it at before you do any other movement for that unit.

The thing is, Charge says you can't do a redress. Drilled does not counter that with its wording. Doesn't matter if its free or immediately, charge rules say no. Drilled rules do not say yes.

Drilled still gives a benefit of a no-cost redress with non-charge moves. And it is still has limitations as it happens at the start of the movement. You can't wheel and then get a free redress with drilled.

I can totally see where it could, but the wording just isn't strong enough. RAW, I say no. RAI, I say yes.

4 hours ago, Murphy'sLawyer said:

I think some are saying they could use it to get around Impetuous so it’s less about marching for distance as a work around for a rule that is inconvenient. And I’m saying that as an O&G player where most of my units have this rule. I understand I’ll accept how ever this keyword is ruled by GW but I already have to work around this as my wolfriders have impetuous but also Feint Flee so you want to temp units to charge you but doing so you risk just having them charge that unit you’re trying to avoid. It’s just a risk management issue and they don’t have Drilled. 

The unknown factor is play tested so I can see how Drilled wouldn’t prevent them just charging in because that’s a risk you take when you purchase them and that unknown factor is part of their unit cost. If you think impetuous is bad you didn’t play Orcs with Animosity rules in previous additions. At least you charge in to get in the mix instead of beating your own guys or just stand there open to get charged on your opponent’s turn. That’s a game changing event that costed me many games. 

But I hear the argument, I just don’t feel sympathy if your knights charge in. That’s the risk you have to manage and plan for. It was play tested and is there for balance. Just my opinion. 

Sorry, forgot this discussion started about impetuous.  To be clear I am also on the side of Drilled troops and reforming before a charge. Now I'll go back and look though impetuous.  But a gut reaction, is if your in marching column your still impetuous regardless you can execute a charge.

It seems to me that a charge is not a normal move and therefore not included in "the unit moves as normal." BUT... yeah that needs some clarification (or tighter wording on what the word "move" refers to...). 

I have not even gotten my models to the table yet, so I don't exactly know how these rules play out, though it seems like no free redress before a charge might result in drilled being mostly worthless while getting to may be overpowered.

• Like 1