Couple rules questions

Darthweasel

Played a small Maelstrom game tonight (he was cool, was fine with playing 750 point, single codex battle forged, which I asked for as a learning game...had to turn down a 2000 point offer as I am just not ready for "real" 40k yet...as these questions should show...)

1) when I was rolling objectives, I used one color die for the "10s" and other die color for the "1"s, and announced the colors ahead of time. He was rolling the same color die and choosing...pretty sure that is incorrect but not so sure that I cared enough to interrupt the game to ask

2) his Necron Overlord guy (not his warlord) was in a unit that got swept up after close combat. (long lived failed 9+ LD rolls...because the prior turn my Grey Hunters 15 attacks did ONE wound which subsequently reanimated...). He did a separate reanimation roll for the warlord and came back with full wounds. I thought Necrons had to have someone around to reanimate? Again, did not care enough to interrupt the game but it was something I was curious about

3) after said overlord reanimated, he was standing in the middle of 4 Grey Hunters and I rolled Overwhelming Firepower and shot him to death. I thought I would get the VP as I wiped out all of a unit that was there, he said no, you had to wipe out the whole unit and that had been part of a much larger unit the turn before. Does not make sense to me that if you cause a casualty on a unit in turn 1 then from turn 2 on you cannot achieve overwhelming firepower

4) In close combat I had one guy touching his warlord, one guy closer to his warlord than anyone else, and 5...then 4...then 3...marines base to base with his basic guys. He thought he should be taking saves on all of my attacks with the warlord because it was closest model. I am unclear on how it can be the closest model to the 3 that were physically touching other models and NOT touching his warlord? 

5) In the cc if he has three ranks of guys behind the ones touching mine, they should not get attacks due to spacing, correct? By definition, one model touching mine (1"), one lined up behind that (2"), one lined up behind that the next one would be out of range? (over 2")

I don't really care about the outcome of any specific game. I have played three people now and I am pretty sure the first 2 will concur if there is any question whatsoever, I send it the other guys' way. I am very careful to measure front of base to front of base and routinely short myself 1/4" to a full inch of movement to make sure I am doing it right, I am overly generous in saying my units cannot see them but they CAN see me (such as next to last turn when I had 2 guys with very sketchy los to his last unit on my turn, they moved further under a hill...that earlier in the game hid them...and then almost the whole unit shot at 3 of my guys:-) )...I want to make sure I give the other guy a fair game and let him play how he wants to. 

I just want to make sure I get these right so I do not inadvertently pick up stuff incorrectly and start doing it otherwise. Appreciate the help and look forward to rolling some more dice. 

• Like 1

1) Yeah, you've got it right. Have to choose which is the 10s and which is the 1s before rolling.

2) The basic Necron Resurrection Protocols require there to be other Models left from the Unit. Most Necron Characters, however, have a slightly different Rule called Everliving, which allows them to stand back up even if they're alone. Unless they have a Phylactery, tho, I believe they get up with just one Wound.

3) As far as I know, you're correct. You don't have to do the whole job in one Turn, it's just that you only get the VP on the Turn that you actually finish them off. Also, if that was actually an Overlord, not a regular Lord, he's a Unit all by himself, and would count anyhow.

4) Wound Allocation in Assaults works a bit differently than for Shooting. The Player taking Hits can pick any Model in BtB with a Model that Attacked during that Initiative Step to be the "closest" Model for the duration of that Initiative Step, or until they die. Yes, this can result in weirdness, in big sprawling combats I've actually had Wounds dealt to Models that were farther away than some of the Attackers' shooting ranges :P But your Opponent did play this one right, from how you describe it.

5) They get supporting Attacks if they're within 2" of a Model on their side who is BtB with one of yours. So yeah, three "ranks" can all attack. And it only takes a tiny bit of offset in the "ranks" to let the round bases pack in a little tighter and allow a fourth "rank" to attack.

• Like 1

1) when I was rolling objectives, I used one color die for the "10s" and other die color for the "1"s, and announced the colors ahead of time. He was rolling the same color die and choosing...pretty sure that is incorrect but not so sure that I cared enough to interrupt the game to ask

You are correct here. It's actually rather important which is the tens die and which is the ones die, as it turns out- you don't get to roll and then choose which you want it to be afterwards.

2) his Necron Overlord guy (not his warlord) was in a unit that got swept up after close combat. (long lived failed 9+ LD rolls...because the prior turn my Grey Hunters 15 attacks did ONE wound which subsequently reanimated...). He did a separate reanimation roll for the warlord and came back with full wounds. I thought Necrons had to have someone around to reanimate? Again, did not care enough to interrupt the game but it was something I was curious about

This is true for all normal Necrons, but as already noted, their HQ characters have a different version of the rule called "Everliving" that always allows them to try and stand up.

3) after said overlord reanimated, he was standing in the middle of 4 Grey Hunters and I rolled Overwhelming Firepower and shot him to death. I thought I would get the VP as I wiped out all of a unit that was there, he said no, you had to wipe out the whole unit and that had been part of a much larger unit the turn before. Does not make sense to me that if you cause a casualty on a unit in turn 1 then from turn 2 on you cannot achieve overwhelming firepower

Again, you are correct here- you merely have to kill any unit on the table to qualify. It doesn't matter how damaged the unit was when the turn started, whether you shot at them with multiple of your own units, etc, etc- if you kill it in the shooting phase, you get the point. Interestingly, it doesn't even have to be an actual shooting attack that kills the unit, so long as it dies during the proper phase- not that there are a lot of ways for this to occur, but it's worth keeping in mind. (One common example might be a unit running off the board due to a failed morale check in the shooting phase- by most players' reckonings, this still counts as you destroying a unit and thus you get the point.)

4) In close combat I had one guy touching his warlord, one guy closer to his warlord than anyone else, and 5...then 4...then 3...marines base to base with his basic guys. He thought he should be taking saves on all of my attacks with the warlord because it was closest model. I am unclear on how it can be the closest model to the 3 that were physically touching other models and NOT touching his warlord? 

This one is a little tricky because it can depend on a bunch of stuff that you don't specifically mention here. When you take saves in close combat, you generally have a lot of models in base-to-base with the enemy- each of these models are considered to be equally close. To make things simpler, the rules allow you to take saves on any model that is in base contact with another model that is swinging during that initiative step. So, in your example, if all of the models you had attacking him were swinging at the same time and none of them had any abilities or weapons that would make their attacks distinct from the others, what he was doing would be legal. It would also be legal for him to choose to take all of the saves on his normal troop guys if he had wanted to- however, once you have "picked" a model to start taking saves, you have to take ALL of the saves on that model until it is dead or that initiative step ends; you can't switch halfway through if you get antsy (although characters can still potentially roll Look Out, Sir! attempts.)

5) In the cc if he has three ranks of guys behind the ones touching mine, they should not get attacks due to spacing, correct? By definition, one model touching mine (1"), one lined up behind that (2"), one lined up behind that the next one would be out of range? (over 2")

Well, since models have to pile in 3" during their turn to attack, he should have been moving his guys in next to you on his Initiative 2 step, which presumably would have gotten most of them in range. But yes, you have to be either in base contact or within 2" of a model that is in base contact in order to get to attack.

Yeah, I see a lot of confusion between Barrages and regular Blasts. Barrage Weapons start allocating from the center of the Blast Marker (center of the first Blast Marker in the case of Multiple Barrages), regular Blasts just allocate to the closest Model like any other fire.

It is a bit confusing, yeah. The fact that the distinction is almost entirely arbitrary and a bit counterintuitive in functioning doesn't help any, either.

I will also point out that multiple barrages technically allocate wounds from the center of each individual blast marker, not just from the initial one. I don't think any human being actually plays it this way, though.

I will also point out that multiple barrages technically allocate wounds from the center of each individual blast marker, not just from the initial one. I don't think any human being actually plays it this way, though.

That actually changed in 7th. Now they do all come from the first Marker. This significantly reduced my hatred for TFC and Wyverns.

• Like 2