Land Speeders and Maelstrom missions

Bosco

For those who play loyalist marines of any flavor, do you find yourself using more land speeders than previous editions when planning for maelstrom missions?  

Given the random nature of ever-changing objectives throughout the game, I feel like they've finally given me a reason to start using them again (long time Salamanders player, so I tended to avoid them for fluff reasons anyways outside of a Storm to haul a few scouts around).  

They're still paper-thin as far as armor goes, but I feel like they have more of a place in test-lists than before with their ability to capture distant (unoccupied) objectives.  The LSS even more so with 'ObSec' and minor transport capacity.

I suppose bike armies wouldn't need that added movement quite as much, but even they can benefit to some degree.

Not sure I've played with the maelstorm missions yet. I have been considering using more speeders.

As for durability, the big issue is that their aren't any psychic buffs to increase armor or hull points...Getting them a 4++, It will not die, or an improved jink is feasible, but it won't make them dramatically more durable, especially if compared to similar cost units.

DA can field a squad of 5 speeders, which does make them both more durable and more viable to bother buffing, but the new issue is that they lack an ability to split fire, so while they have impressive weapons, they are also likely overkill against most targets.

In example, I can take a DA speeder group of 5 with 10 multi-meltas. That's going to cost me 400pts. Yeah, the damage output is impressive, but finding targets worth shooting 10 MMs into can be difficult given the fragile nature of the unit. I need to be able to arrive (DS, Reserve or from a hiding place), take out 400pts worth of enemy, then recieve return fire, as these are glass cannons.

If you're just using them as Objective Grabbers, I'd keep them as singles with just the Heavy Bolter. Drops their Target Priority way down and makes it easier to find hiding places for them. They can take pot shots any turn they aren't going Flat Out for an Objective, but their basic goal is to hide, Jink if anything manages to draw a bead on them, and race for Objectives when needed.

• Like 1

If you're just using them as Objective Grabbers, I'd keep them as singles with just the Heavy Bolter. Drops their Target Priority way down and makes it easier to find hiding places for them. They can take pot shots any turn they aren't going Flat Out for an Objective, but their basic goal is to hide, Jink if anything manages to draw a bead on them, and race for Objectives when needed.

Hmmm...might need to start fielding my Dark Shroud again. That thing absorbs an unreal amount of firepower. It would fit great in this role.