Fast paint stripper?

LA's Totally Awesome (yeah, that's the product name) in a heated ultrasonic cleaner.

Use in a well ventilated area. Use gloves.

It's safe for plastics and it takes almost no time at all. I run the ultrasonic cleaner for 8 minutes and check the models. The paint is usually slipping off by now, but if not, I run for another 8 minutes. I'll use a toothbrush (cheap battery operated ones are ideal) and get the rest out of the details. I generally spend no more than a minute brushing each model. You could easily fit 20+ normal models in the ultrasonic cleaner.

LA's Totally Awesome is $1 a bottle and you'll need 2. The Ultrasonic Cleaner I use is from Harbor Freight. Buy when it's on sale, then use a percentage-off coupon to get a better deal. They've never said no to me when I've used their coupons on sale items. I'm certain I paid around $40 when I got mine.

This is great if you need to strip a lot of minis fast. If you need to do just a few, I'd try just the LA's Totally Awesome in a jar.

• Like 1

Don't use brake fluid. It is nasty stuff.

I use Superclean (purple bottle). You can get it pretty much anywhere with an auto section.

Got some break fluid in the smallest container they sold. Also bought a carbon filter breathing mask...

Agree, probably a bad idea, but I want to test this one anyway. Very curious.

LA's Totally Awesome is $1 a bottle and you'll need 2. The Ultrasonic Cleaner I use is from Harbor Freight. Buy when it's on sale, then use a percentage-off coupon to get a better deal. They've never said no to me when I've used their coupons on sale items. I'm certain I paid around $40 when I got mine.

This is great if you need to strip a lot of minis fast. If you need to do just a few, I'd try just the LA's Totally Awesome in a jar.

Bookmarked!

I regret bringing up the brake fluid thing, I agree it's beyond my hazard comfort level. It also likely requires special disposal, i.e. you shouldn't just dump it down the drain when you're done.

I'm in an apartment, so I don't even own my pipes. Not totally sure what they are made of. Yeah, not going down the drain. Don't worry, I'm a safety nut, believe it or not. Online advice regarding this stuff recommends outdoor use only. Don't own heavy duty gloves, so project is on hold.

As for disposal, I'll look into it. Worst case, goes into my apartment's dumpster in a sealed container.

Anyway, brake fluid was cheap, easy to acquire, and sold in small quantities. The other paint strippers I saw at home depot required larger quantities, which are bad for experimentation. In particular, many of them had rather questionable storage requirements. That MEK stripper, in example, can't be stored in bathrooms or basements, as it builds up flamable gas, which needs to be able to escape from time to time. I don't currently have the means to store such an item.