Mordheim in Vancouver!

Andrewgeddon

As Tim said, feel free to bring whatever you would like! We do have a wide range of warband ratings out there, but the "average" seems to be around early / mid 200s. That being said, Warband Rating doesn't always equal "better warband," as my 220 Witch Hunters found out after getting smashed by some 150-ish Undead. We'll just make sure you don't go up against the 300+ Orc player we have, haha.

Only thing to keep in mind is that some of the "house rules" that you use wouldn't be compatible with ours, but if you're playing Mercenaries there probably should be any problems, just a few mechanics that might be a little different than you are used to :)

The house rules you use match up pretty well with what I've been playing, so that shouldn't be a problem.   And as of now the mercs are sitting just below 200, and may grow more by the time I actually make it to a Tuesday game haha.

You sound like you'd fit right in. :)

And yeah, Connor's Orc warband is seriously nasty. I'm fine playing him again because he's still got me by 100 warband rating, and I love some XP! Feed him some henchmen... and run away! :P

Just a note for anyone outside of the "usually" group that might show up next Tuesday, please just give me a heads up! Drop ins are always welcome, but I'm running a special scenario next week which requires a bit of prep. Thanks!

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the special scenario called 'We all kill Connor?'  :)

Looking forward to it! :)

-Tim

Had another great game against Ian's orcs this week, while trying out the spiffy new scenario that Andrew threw at us... THE PIT.

Having 6 undead running about - each carrying a wyrdstone token - was quite interesting! They moved randomly, and I let Ian make the rolls while I moved them in the direction indicated on the scatter dice. MAN, Ian was rolling high, and the undead were scattering like a pack of crack-addicts being raided by the cops! I didn't want them running TOO far towards Ian, and not only that, but passing Fear tests to charge them was kinda rough for my rats, so instead, I just started putting models within their range to make them charge -me-. Wheeeee!

I think in the end, Ian killed the three closest to him, while I killed the three closest to me, and several of them were killed with ranged weapons. Once the wyrdstone was on the ground, then it was a matter of picking it all up! Yes-yes!

Ian played a lot more conservatively this time compared to the times I've faced him before. He also had a LOT of shooting/gobbos, but sadly, he put them in a building, on a higher level which was great, but they spent most of the game outside the range to hit anything. Meanwhile, skaven are -fast-, and when I veered the bulk of my force to my right flank toward his small group of guys on the ground, I would outnumber him two to one.

There were a few brief fights, I knocked out a couple bigguns, and Ian chose to route since I had most of my force bearing down on his warboss and shaman.

I LOVED the scenario. I remember from Necromunda and Mordheim in the past, the generic 'face off and kill each other' scenarios got old very, very quick, so I am always looking to play the 'fun' scenarios where there are other objectives and challenges involved. So this scenario was awesome, and I definitely look forward to whatever new thing Andrew throws at us!

Only two skill-ups this time for my band of rats, though, but XP is XP and it all adds-up eventually! :) As always Ian was great to play with!

-Tim

Another fun night, and I got to play against someone I've never played against, so that is always cool, too! I faced off against Dante's Night Goblin warband, and I had to admit, seeing 18 models on the other side of the table (one of them an Ogre) had me a bit worried at first!

We had the "Hidden Treasure" scenario, and it ended up being pretty interesting. We set up the terrain and ended up with 4 buildings. It's interesting how you 'search' the buildings, needing a 12 to find the treasure - but if you fail on all the rolls until the last building, then the last building has it. That makes it pretty important who searches and when, and then seeing which building is the 'last one' - there's definitely a bit of strategy involved here! As things went, it ended up being a building by Dante's deployment zone, which caused even more panic to set in.

The first few turns were pretty quiet. We each couldn't hit crap in shooting, but we did close in on one another and searched the available buildings. When it was revealed where the chest was, we each began to bolt in that direction, all our models on the other side of the table hustling as best as we could toward the building with the chest.

Our models that were close to that building, of course - jumped on each other pretty quickly. That included his ogre and shaman, as well as my grey seer and his tiny little entourage.

I have to say, I was quite lucky against his ogre. A sling-bullet popped him in the forehead for a wound, 9 dice of Gnawdoom did a single wound to him, and then my leader joined the fray and put him on his back. Then - I spent a turn or two just trying to wound him to get him off the table... and failed miserably. LOL. At least for a couple turns. I think third time was the charm, and I ended up getting the big guy off the table! 

For several turns, we had lots of shooting and lots of combats... with no models from either side being removed from the table! It was like we were fighting with NERF weapons or something. But, finally, around turn 6 or so, the dice started going my way, and it got brutal, fast.

In one turn, Dante lost two guys, and it still seemed doable for either side. Then the following turn, I took our -six- additional guys of his. At that point, he bolted, and the game was over. My mage, of course, smelled warpstone in the chest and was already halfway off the board with it when the game ended.

Sadly, Dante's after-game rolls were the worst part. The Ogre DIED. Three other goblin henchmen DIED. One of his heroes DIED. It was absolutely brutal and I felt pretty badly about that, especially since none of my heroes were knocked off the table. :(

We did our after-battle stuff, and I was pretty thrilled rolling a New Skill for my Leader... I am thinking 'Tail Fighting' for him, as well, to give him a 4th attack. With Mighty Blow, he has STR 5 hits, and with 4 Attacks... BRUTAL. The other two skill-ups were crap, but then again, I've had some -very- good skill-ups so far so I am not complaining! Still waiting on a new spell for my Grey Seer, though!

And best of all... I scored enough gold after this game to easily afford my first RAT OGRE! Only took 8 games, but I finally am there! Can't wait to give him a try! :)

Dante, like the rest of this group, was sheer awesome to play. Very friendly, never a dull moment, and never any super-competitiveness that I always worry I'll see. I look forward to playing him again! :)

-Tim

Thanks for the write up Tim! Sad I couldn't be there, but glad there were good times to be had. I only played against Dante once, and it was when his warband first got started, so I'm curious to see how though of a nut it is to crack now.

Looking forward to next week!

He has some heroes with a few skill-ups, and they definitely helped him. But I -think- he loses henchmen so fast, replacing them is neither quick nor cheap.The hero he lost only had one skill-up, so that wasn't -so- bad. His shaman didn't die, but will miss 3 games. He had another guy roll and miss 1 game. He really had a terrible, terrible after-match injury roll session. (P.S. To make matters worse, when he rolled for available XP?..... 3.  :(  )

The rolls for the chest I got after the game were pretty good - I ended up walking away with ~50 gold from that after selling stuff I found inside it, plus the coin from exploration and wyrdstone... my Seer, Higginz, is going to form a bond with his new rat ogre in the same vein as his idol, Thanquol and Boneripper. Those two really know how to kill-kill!

Meanwhile, Connor and Andy played, and from the sound of it, it wasn't pretty for poor Andy. Connor is up to something insane (almost a 400 rating, 300 gold with nothing to spend it on, etc, etc). I still think our final day we need to have a 'Everyone vs. Connor' game. Toss his gang in the middle of the board and see how it goes! :P

-Tim

• Like 1

Yes......after his narrow victory over my band of finely dressed gentleman we can say marienburg put out a bounty on the war band and everyone must try to kill him! We could do the "Hideout" scenario that we once tried Andrew. Connor would set up in the middle of the board in his hideout and we all had to try and kill his band for the bounty? :)