Whirlwind Warlord...?

A weird idea, but something about it is oddly appealing.

Idea is Ultramarines chapter tactics. Chronus is eligible to be the warlord (character model, considered a passenger). Put him in a whirlwind. I know, he adds nothing to the whirlwind to justify his cost. But the idea of a warlord that can hide all game outside of TLOS is very appealing from a SM standpoint - it's just an option that we really don't have in any other form (barring FW).

It's oddly appealing, though I'm not really sure why. Thoughts?

In my experience, Whirlwinds are pretty vulnerable to Outflankers, Deep Strikers, enemy Barrages, and various mobile fire platforms like Flyers, FMCs, Wave Serpents, or Land Speeders. I suspect that the increase in ability to hide would be relatively minor in actual practice, especially when you've made it a much bigger target by investing so many more Points in it and adding in Warlord as an extra temptation.

• Like 1

That's weird.  I wonder what others think. 

Current wording of Chronus has him count as a passenger, and he's a character, so he's certainly an eligible warlord with access to warlord traits.

The chronus from the previous book was a vehicle upgrade that would "spawn" chronus on 3+ when the vehicle died, so wasn't eligible as a warlord (warlord rules were different too, but the current ones would not allow the old chronus to be a warlord).

For that matter why not put him in a Land Raider. Good thought though...would be hard to slay that Warlord in a tank...but for 50 points and a BS of 5 that is a great idea....

Land Raiders are already transports, so a 65pt libby is probably a better model. BS doesn't do much for a land raider due to how many TL weapons they have, neither does the shaken/stunned immunity (if they are penetrating your land raider, you have bigger issues...).

yep it's a space marine tank. Hell could put him in a Fellblade tec. " Chronus is always bought as an upgrade and starts

the game as commander of an Ultramarines Tank "

But do you really want a +50pt fellblade that's worth an additional VP to destroy? Passengers of destroyed super heavies are also hit with S10 ap2, so he won't get out....

Yes but a Libby is very squishy....best option for lower pts games is put him in a Predator....

But pred is in just as durable as a whirly in all arcs save front. Whirly out of TLOS is more durable than a pred, most of the time.

I was tinkering with a SM Hunter. BS5 would help, though messes with that rule where misses have a chance to hit again. Cost wise, only 5pts more than a whirly. Does need LOS, but AV12 front and side is probably better than front AV13 side AV11. Really wise GW had made all the preds and vindicators AV12 front and side - would have hurt in some areas, but SM would be much more resistant to barrage and vector strike.

Current wording of Chronus has him count as a passenger, and he's a character, so he's certainly an eligible warlord with access to warlord traits.

The chronus from the previous book was a vehicle upgrade that would "spawn" chronus on 3+ when the vehicle died, so wasn't eligible as a warlord (warlord rules were different too, but the current ones would not allow the old chronus to be a warlord).

I was talking about chronus in a Siccarran.  He certainly can join a whirlwind.  

I was talking about chronus in a Siccarran.  He certainly can join a whirlwind.  

I know, it applies to both. This is because chapter tactics applies to the detachment and the FW units (and lords of war) are permitted to be in the same detachment.

Likewise, an Iron Hands Fellblade has IWND. I very much hope they FAQ this one, but this is what happens in the current rules.