Airbrush?

Hey guys so I have never used an airbrush before but i REALLY have getting the uneven/rough texture primers leave from the can, and I waste so much time doing the base coat. Does anyone have much experience with air brushes? And if so, any suggestions on what brand you like? Ps my series 7 brushes came and they are amazing.

• Like 1

From experience Brad, you still need a primer layer.  Airbrush layers of paint are SUPER thin and will rub off very easily.  But what you need in a primer layer is actually MUCH less than you would expect.  I can show you sometime if you would like, if none of the better painters step up ;).  

I looked for a video showing the method I have seen demonstrated to me, but every video I watched they hosed on the primer.... alas

Yeah loren has the right of it primer is more of a dusting layer of you are going to airbrush... Really if you aren't going dip or wash method the primer should be there but not as a full layer.

I'm wondering if we could find some good primer time soon, temp and humidity play a part in priming as well. I have gotten away with cold priming by making sure my models are warm and the primer is too going outside to spray then bringing the model inside to dry (bathroom with the exhaust fan on, mine vents to the outside)

Those are the tips I can give in text pm me if you want to try and find some time to try it... I've been building and getting ready to lay some paint in. Don't let loren fool you he is the resident journey man around here with the airbrush and can totally take on apprentices.

• Like 1

Would anyone being interested in an Airbrush and Primer class?

Also a trick is to bring the cans of primer into the house the night before so the primer is at a good temp, set up your area to include models, make the cans of primer virgins again ( shake the [big bad swear word] out of them ;D) and then go outside to your primer area and spray.  I've had good results.

Now, all that said, army painters primers are a pretty great base coat.  I can show you my technique for using them as the base coat without over doing it.  It wastes a bit of paint, I won't lie, but again, I've had good results.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.