Basic Building Costs - estimating ??

Torg

Hey - I am looking at a new project (replacing our house) to hope to start in a year or maybe 2 tops.  We build a yurt a few years ago - and it was a learning experience.  Well now that my wife's father passed away a couple years ago we have moved into the existing doublewide (1970's - lots of issues).  We are now in a position to replace this house.  We are still very price conscience and want to do lots of the work ourselves.  

Here is the question… I need someone to bounce ideas off of - to get some basic (big round numbers) costs figured out.  This is just for budgeting / banking figures that we need to plan for.  We are planning on a geodesic dome … will order the kit that all build the shell.  We will have to provide the foundation / subfloor etc., roofing… plumb/electrical etc. etc.

- Of course we will have to have the septic system tested by the state ( known existing costs) and permitting (went through this with the yurt electrical system - wired myself).  

So - I am looking to get some round numbers for the building of a foundation (contracted) and hooking up of the major part of the electrical panel / gas).  All services exist in the current old doublewide… but will need to be re-established during the building process.  I am not looking to nail down said contractors - just to get some figures when figuring out our total costs (+20-50%).

--- so if you can point me in a good direction I would appreciate it.

-d

• Like 1

the Yurt ( which we build a few years ago and lived in) will still be used.  The house is an old double wide trailer.  We want to replace it with a geodesic dome ( stick built for the most part).  It will require a foundation… etc.

-d

South of portland… Hubbard.  Near aurora - south of wilsonville on i5… north of woodburn :)

this is more of a "discovery" mode at the moment… I will need to contact the county about the dome as an "ok" structure.  Then their is septic system eval ($$)… way before possibly buying the Geodesic dome "kit".  Ahead of all of that is knowing the rough total costs - so we can visit with the bankers.  The land is ours… has power …etc.

-d

• Like 1

Are you familiar with Pacific Domes?  They're down here in Rogue Valley, Ashland I believe.  If you haven't already, I'd dig through their resources and see if there is anything in it that may help your approach to the city.  I've met the owner a couple times, worked on her house when I was still doing HVAC, and she had one set up in the "backyard."  Driving around, you see them set up all over the valley down here.

in our yurt… we have a composting toilet… and the grey water we are sending it to a leeching tank/area (which I need to update).  In the house (dome) we are looking to go as traditional as possible.  We are not in city limits - so its a county review of our current septic system and field…which should be ok.  

I will check out Pacific domes.  I have been looking at Timberline Geodesic domes out of cali… steel connectors - 2x6 construction good ply for the shell.  But we purchased our yurt through Pacific Yurts down i cottage grove… its a great set up.  We would love going through and oregon co. if it fits our needs.  I will check them out.  - thanks!

-d

• Like 1

Ok - just looked… nope Pacific Domes are similar to yurts… in which they are a simple fabric membrane.  Ok for not following building codes - but not ok to live in as far as I can tell.  I researched things pretty far on yurts when we built one of those … and you can't live in them in this state.  R value … is a problem - then the rest of the issues with it as well.  What we are looking at is from TimberLine … http://www.domehome.com.

they look kinda like this...

ar120568553460476.jpg

so  - aside from the shape - its stick built - with solid walls (2x6) on the outside.. standard framing for interior walls.  The shell is self supporting.

-d

• Like 3