Armada, feels too reliant on cards

So I have been unable to physically game, but I have been absorbing as much as I can lately. One thing that has stuck out to me is that the strategies all rely on the cards and upgrades. It makes the models feel less of an impact than the upgrades and I'm not sure I like this.

So those that have some games under their belts, even of just X-wing as I feel similar there, do you feel the cards impact the game more than the models? Are you ok with how the game feels with these? 

I like the concept of the upgrades, just not a huge fan of gotcha and combos taking stuff down. Perhaps I have just played major miniature games too long and am just not adapting well. 

upgrades play a big part, but ships contain unique upgrades as well so you still depend on ship build with your strategy.  the models, especially squadrons, play a lot with your strategy and the difference between ships as well.  feel they are pretty well interconnected tbh.  ive played a few games and admit have been caught off guard 100% because not knowing the upgrades, but thats just part of the game.  the upgrades are what makes builds really unique imo.  love the game, very simplistic i feel to understand but complicated with the options.

• Like 2

upgrades play a big part, but ships contain unique upgrades as well so you still depend on ship build with your strategy.  the models, especially squadrons, play a lot with your strategy and the difference between ships as well.  feel they are pretty well interconnected tbh.  ive played a few games and admit have been caught off guard 100% because not knowing the upgrades, but thats just part of the game.  the upgrades are what makes builds really unique imo.  love the game, very simplistic i feel to understand but complicated with the options.

Perhaps I am over-thinking it not being able to play lately. 

I don't think cards are a huge deal - I hear what you are saying, but I think in practice it's not as bad as you think. I often run ships with no upgrades. They just add a little flair, a little extra. It's like putting the razor standard on a unit in WHFB. Just a small persistent buff. The shields, hull, commands, evasion, and firepower (for the most part) are always the same.

• Like 1

While there are upgrades that definitely are worth the points, I often see them as a trap that has to be carefully considered or else you find that your tooled up cruiser still dies like a naked one, but was a much bigger chunk of the fleet than it needed to be.

• Like 3

Gunnery Team for a VSD (or anything else with a particularly devastating arc) is one I absolutely love, especially if the targets are covered by overlapping fields of fire from a second VSD with Gunnery Team as well!  I think this is a particularly helpful upgrade on ponderous ships that are going to be outnumbered and are unable to come about to get multiple faster targets into more favorable arcs late game as well (again, VSDs)

Leia in a CR90a hanging out with higher command value ships for adaptability is nice, especially if you're running one or more Assault frigates.  Similarly, Tantive IV title card, but it is a bit less useful for the same points as Miss Organa.

-EDIT-

In general though my experience play supports the 'boys over toys' saying from 40k/WHFB; better to have quantity over quality when quality isn't bringing significantly greater durability and offensive potential. 

• Like 2